MSC Opera Crash In Venice

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
Bilge*Rat
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Northern Illinois, USA

MSC Opera Crash In Venice

Post by Bilge*Rat »

The MSC Opera was inbound to the Venice Marine Terminal, but underwent some kind of a "technical fault" on the way in. Maximum speed in the Giudecca Canal is limited to 6 knots; when the ship went past Redentore, it was making 5.8 knots, but when the allision occurred at the San Basilio Marine Terminal, MSC Opera was making 6.8 and looked to still be under power when it hit the M/V River Countess. I've been in contact with friends in the city, and they say that at least part of the problem was that the tug on the Opera's bow parted it's tow line. Has anyone heard anything as to what may have gone wrong with Opera's propulsion system? There was a reference in one news article to a "locked" engine, but I'm putting that one off to reporters generally not knowing much about what they report on.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: MSC Opera Crash In Venice

Post by JK »

I'm wondering if the telegraphs or propulsion control locked up. There's not much design info online for those ships that I have seen.
Bilge*Rat
Bilge Dweller

Post by Bilge*Rat »

Thanks. I was wondering about that myself. I haven't heard any news on this so far other than the Opera was back in the lagoon again as of a couple days ago. We have a friend in town there; if I get any information from them, I'll put it up here.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Post by Merlyn »

My money says we will never know why unless you get insider info.
Too many big bucks at stake here to reveal the true reason.
I have spent many hours on the sole area of interest only trying to determine exactly why all the anzipod failures re clutches let go etc.
US coastguard reports don't seem to reveal exact failure reasons.
It does however amuse me with some of the PR work explanations offered in order to persuade you to " book another cruise " basis.
Bet the ER crew are zip tied on this one.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
Bilge*Rat
Bilge Dweller

Post by Bilge*Rat »

Merlyn,
Thamks for the input. We have friends locally there who said that they would share any information that they got. If they do, I'll get back on here and repost. Meanwhile, I see an article that the US Navy is going back to physical throttles and tradidtonal helms on destroyers (instead of touchscreens) after the USS McCain crash. Makes one wonder a bit...

http://www.professionalmariner.com/Web- ... collision/
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Post by Merlyn »

How far back though?
Back to that voice speaky tube with that whistle, long Morse cable or fly by wire jobby?
Perhaps the same team who designed the system used to work for Boeing, they have it worse that computer taking over and bringing down fully loaded aircraft.
Perhaps computer designed systems have reached the end of the road, bring back the bearing scrapers, engineersblue and leads taking I say.
Oh and Imperial.

Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.