Sludge tank clogged

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
zodiac
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Polska

Sludge tank clogged

Post by zodiac »

Hello guys...

I have recently a problem with sludge tank.
We have evaporting management system related to sludge. One of tank with 2.0m3 volume got clogged with 1.6 m3 of sludge inside. Sludge was always pumped over there via filter which is in good condition. Looks like sludge changed from liquid to more (solid) form. Heating up is not helping. I am thinking about putting chemicals inside like 100 liters pf cleanbreak - tank cleaner /degreaser... Do you have any better idea?
zodiac
Bilge Dweller

Re: Sludge tank clogged

Post by zodiac »

I will add only that it's waste oil tank to be more precious. Sludge from waste oil residue (mainly L.O. or H.F.O or MGO purifiyng)
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

Hi Zodiac,

I guess you are putting a mixture of oil and water into the sludge/ waste oil tank and then heating to evaporate the water.
You will then be left with a concentrated mixture of oil and solid waste which you have to pump ashore.
If you heat oil too much it will carbonise and thicken the oil residue, it sounds as if this is what has happened to you.
Probably the best thing to do is put a load of MDO or even better MGO into the tank to thin it down and then pump it ashore.
Clean break will help emulsify oil with water but unless you have plenty of water in there it won't help shift the concentrated, carbonised, sludge that you have in the tank. If you keep on heating it without pumping it ashore once the water has boiled off you will have to go in the tank with pneumatic drills to get it out.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
zodiac
Bilge Dweller

Post by zodiac »

Uff lucky for me I managed without airdriven tools as you mentioned... Short description of system:

Vessel has designated 2 waste oil sludge tanks to evaporate water from sludge. Their names are Settling and service tank.
Upon evaporation process, sludge is going to be recirculated in waste oil service tank and then burned in the incinerator.

As i mentioned above, waste oil service tank was totally full with pure sludge(no water) and pipe (outlet from this tank) got clogged.

Clogged pipe leads to incinerator (for burning) or to drain (to seperated bilge oil tank).

Lucky for me, I connected the general service air to the pipe and purged it with air. It unclogged a pipe to incinerator so incineration of sludge could be started.

All sludge from the tank incinerated. Tank refilled with water. Reheated and recirculate the system to clean it.

Lucky me!!
zodiac
Bilge Dweller

Post by zodiac »

Btw. Thank you for you reply BP !

Good watch! :)
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

Always nice to hear of an outcome (especially positive ones), great knowledge sharing opportunity for peers.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net