New engine

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
Feliks
Superintendent
Currently located: Kraków,Polska

Re: New engine

Post by Feliks »

So here in slow motion you can see how the valve works in a four-stroke internal combustion engine .. You can see perfectly the "precision" of this mechanism .. It is best to watch it on the maximum screen .. You can see how the valve is when not pressed (and then there is a stroke of work with high pressure ) we are simply shaken by the effect of spring vibrations bouncing off the valve face and inertia .. At the bottom of this valve there is a "mushroom" which closes the way to the cylinder .. But since the valve stem dances so, the mushroom also makes such movements .. A since it performs these movements, even when it is "theoretically" closed, it really does not close the cylinder tightly, despite the fact that it is subject to a stroke pressure of up to 100 atmospheres. And we can imagine how much of this pressure escapes from the cylinder, on the effect of these "supposed" small, but very spoiling cylinder tightness, the movements of this mushroom .. Because at a pressure of 100 atmospheres, we can imagine that even a small gap, however, can even drop to 30 atmospheres make .. this mechanism is economical, and produced in virtually all internal combustion engines .. And complacency that the valve will be tight, because it presses it to the seat, high pressure in the cylinder is only the "wishful thinking" of the designers of such a system. because you can see that this is not true, because the valve sways and bounces off the socket, just when it should be closed ... This film helped me understand why my engine without these valves has such high efficiency and power, because how it receives in the cylinder, these 100 atmospheres, I will never lose my tightness all the time, closing the "valve", maybe like 2 atmospheres .. Well, but the amount of energy to use will be 3 times greater than in a traditional engine ... because 98 atmospheres .. And so on every cylinder .. adding to this even 40% more displacement, and twice as high achievable maximum revolutions, it also receives incredible power ten times greater than the original factory engine ... the load. Well, to find out about all this, I had to do [for 3 years of hard work a prototype of this engine, and say that it is so, although at first it did not seem to me at all, that so much is possible .. But it is thanks theoretically, to drive a Toddler (Fiat 126), with the same power as the original, you need a motor that will be smaller these ... 10 times .. But all this can not be determined by just watching the animations of my engine and criticizing me .. You need to spend your private million dollars to find out that this is the case ... And this film also shows that it is possible with all the imperfections of the current valve system ...
Even an indicator pressure test on an oscilloscope shows us that the pressure drops, but does not show us WHERE it escapes ... :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adYrRk22GDQ

Andrew :D
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

In this film, you can imagine that on the other side of the valves there is the same disc as at the top and of course the wedges when it is to be closed, does the same at the bottom as this disc at the top of the springs

https://youtu.be/uUYn5kFFb5s

https://youtu.be/WtqDHJDN79w

https://youtu.be/_REQ1PUM0rY

https://youtu.be/pFTQrxQ3C3E

Andrew
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

Well, here in the film you can see that the valves are almost not open at higher revolutions .. The same is seen this opening, the air that is to enter the cylinder ..

And the sound that this mechanism produces is huge .. You can take my word for it that the whole sound (95%) of the four-stroke engine comes from the timing mechanism ...
My engine has only 5% of this mechanical sound,

But on the exhale ... world record ...evil

http://new4stroke.com/zawory%20napedzane.mp4

Andrew :D :D
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Post by Merlyn »

Greetings Alex,
What a super illustration of valve bounce and obviously well knackered guides.
If that depicted valve is an exhaust one and the wrist watch engine depicted has run for many hours then the red hot gases flowing continually across its seat during the bounce cycle must have been apparent by the damage caused to the seat and the valve face together with the closing up of the rocker clearance as the valve face recedes into the seat.
When the rocker reaches the supposed closed position you can clearly see the sideways slop as the stem has excess play present in the guide.
So off with the head, punch/ press out the guides, recut the seats 30 or maybe 45 degrees for a little fella like that and recut the seats, coarse/medium/ fine, change those knackered springs, beef it up maybe with an inner ( double coil setup ) and don't forget close coils go to the head and not to the top of the valves.
And reassemble and run up and don't forget to recheck the clearances ( might be a hot engine check ) and just hope that all that compression that you have now created by the head overhaul doesn't create more crankcase compression which will of course now cause the engine to now burn oil.
If it does join our club " it didn't burn oil before " speeches abound.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

Do you know how much engine power goes to overcome losses in the timing mechanism? When designing, it is assumed that it is 10% of the maximum power of this engine .... But, after all, it is very rare to use the full maximum power .. to maintain speed in the city - 50 miles, usually not more than 20% of this is used maximum power .. .. But then the same amount of power goes to the camshaft ... as if we used the maximum power ... So, in fact, in driving in the city the timing drive goes up to 50% of the power used then ... we still have to overcome as much resistance as braking with a 4-stroke engine. I learned about it when I was driving a car with a two-stroke engine, which practically did not have engine braking ... So in summary - the timing drive and pressing the valve springs - I think, on average, there is 50% of the currently used power, which we need to overcome, thanks to our fuel. .. believe me.

Andrew
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

And here, as if someone wants to calculate the displacement of a new engine ... and thus everything you need then, is different from the current engine ..
and the first weld, which you will not see on the animation ... that the minimum volume of the combustion chamber is 370 degrees of rotation of the main crankshaft ..

http://new4stroke.com/volume/volume.htm

http://new4stroke.com/volume/volume.xls

Andrew
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Felix,
Concerning your write up re timing, do you refer to valve timing and/or injection timing?
If injection timing is it Common rail timing or the ( now old ) mechanical system?
If Common rail whose system are you referring to ?
If the old mechanical system duplex or single chain?
Spur or straight cut timing gears?
Hydraulic or spring tensioner system?
Hydraulic or straight mechanical tappets ?
Variable valve timing systems?
On the inlet cam only?
Hydraulically operated VVT on the inlet cam only, what %age of losses here?
The engine braking systems you refer to, bit of a loss for me here to see how this is effected but I presume you mean in a bit of a rough sea swell wise it means sliding down the other side of the wave with the prop. still in the water and the engine governor being pushed over its maximum rpm retardation occurs causing the prop. to act as a brake?
Once again mechanical or electrical governors applicable?
I.e. Mechanical or computer controlled retardation ?
Never seen a dynamometer log anywhere near as 50% losses concerning timing mechanisms / valve timings so with respect maybe your dynamometer requires calibration ?
Don't forget as well as BHP we are measuring SHP here ?
All of these important questions need an in depth reply fully explaining each and every answer setting out explanations necessary to enable the subject to be carried forward and as such further our experience in the world of Marine Engineering.

P.s.

As a matter of interest what make of dynamometer are you using over there?
The old water powered or the electronic brake type?
Clock or Counter clock shaft rotation?

PPS,

Happy Xmas ( in case you get it earlier than us over there ) and don't let the VVT spoil your Xmas.

Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

Merlyn , Happy Xmas and all ..... You certainly did not believe in Santa, Reindeer and Sleigh with presents .. but look here.. https://www.felixconsultings.com/music/atle/santa.mp4

Regards Andrew
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

Here is such a Christmas gift from Saint Nicholas ... a bit outdated in my opinion ... but you have to start somewhere ... https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g9KR1Z ... xyX16/view

Andrew
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

Unfortunately, the Carnot engine is only a fragment of the reality surrounding us related to heat engines .. But most try to explain it as a generally applicable law. In the meantime, for example, you can do a simple experiment at home with a "cold engine". Just pour cold water into the sink and put a screwed plastic drink bottle into it. We will see how it will change its shape due to the cooling of the air inside by cold water. Based on the change in its appearance, we see that also the engine would be possible on this principle. Everything is relative in physics .. But learning about heat omits many important physical quantities such as evaporation, freezing and most important - time. And theoreticians come to the conclusion that entropy is steadily increasing, but what about the scientific approach cannot be reconciled too much, because what will happen if this entropy is ever going to run out ? ;)
I present here, probably the largest heat engine that a man can build (It is suitable for the Guinness book of records ;) ) And theoretically, the pressure does not play any role in it, because the balloon from below is open .. the air heats up and the balloon can rise even at 5000 meters (record is 20,000 m), then the first balloon empties from warm air and fills the second, which thanks to the scrolling line to their tether will do electricity in the generator. Then the cycle repeats, from what we release at the top warm air and the bottom one, we fill it ... The old good principle and pressure does not play any role .. It's just a curiosity that not everything with heat is a Carnot engine ..
By the way, a hot air balloon is the longest-lasting machine in the air so far - the record is over 10 days ...
This shows because maybe there are other heat engines with higher efficiency than currently known .. Anyway. there is already a contribution to new thinking ...

Andrew
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

Feliks wrote:

Andrew
I think that the exhaust gases from the ship's chimney are warm enough and there are a lot of them, so that such a motor gives you some extra electricity ..

heat from the cooling water of the engine can also be very useful here

And on land, any geothermal energy is also enough to produce such warm air ...

Andrew :D :D
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Super bit of kit with Santa flying around in your somewhat large shed you have over there Andrew.
Perhaps you could design a turbo version which would carry a large payload of a fistful of dollars and route it over my way in time for a New Years present?
Back to practicalities I fear that there could be a design fault with your balloon engine.
Looking at the drum it would appear to be a contra rotation situation here with the right hand balloon turning the winch rope drum clockwise in the ascent mode whereby the left hand balloon is turning the winch rope drum counter clockwise in the ascent mode?
Reverse polarity maybe?
The genset looks suspiciously more like a dynamo than an alternator so maybe a dc to ac invertor might be applicable here perhaps?
Just a thought.
Happy new year to you ( whatever your rotation )
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

Merlyn wrote:Super bit of kit with Santa flying around in your somewhat large shed you have over there Andrew.
Perhaps you could design a turbo version which would carry a large payload of a fistful of dollars and route it over my way in time for a New Years present?
Back to practicalities I fear that there could be a design fault with your balloon engine.
Looking at the drum it would appear to be a contra rotation situation here with the right hand balloon turning the winch rope drum clockwise in the ascent mode whereby the left hand balloon is turning the winch rope drum counter clockwise in the ascent mode?
Reverse polarity maybe?
The genset looks suspiciously more like a dynamo than an alternator so maybe a dc to ac invertor might be applicable here perhaps?
Just a thought.
Happy new year to you ( whatever your rotation )
Thank you for the wishes of Merlyn .. actually the raccoon must be quite large, but that's probably why it is the first such a large thermal engine of such sizes .. Turbo versions, they have already done and it is a bit smaller, but just enter the GPS coordinates and should provide these few dollars for a gift ..

https://www.felixconsultings.com/music/atle/santa.mp4

With this rotation you have noticed it well, but this is the first engine in the world and someone has swapped the ropes .. because there is no experience yet ..
Of course, you are right with this inverter, because nowadays you cannot do anything without modern electronics and supercapacitors, needed to temporarily replace the movement of balloons, so that you do not have to hurry, because it will change the ropes again and it will be ...The most important thing is that even water with a temperature of 80 degrees Celsius can be used effectively to heat this air in a balloon...
And this Lord Kelwin once again, however, was a little far from the truth, talking about heat engines.. You just don't have to hurry and have some time for this work cycle, and it can be very, very effective

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_air_balloon

Here also the engine called buoyancy, can run across the ocean on a small battery ... it probably also inspired me ... But don't worry, the next prototypes are on the way, because the innovator is always the first to learn about a new invention and has the most time to think about improving it ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4xHD5y ... ThSI1-Uy4M

Anyway, Best New Year for you Merlyn, and for the whole crew :D

Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

Feliks wrote: Image

Andrew
Well, here such a movie, if it could work such a balloon power plant .. :)
Well, for example on a ship, if the exhaust gases from the engine were used, half in the fields with air, so that they were not too hot, then such a balloon with a capacity of 500 KG could be filled in 1 minute, if the ship's engine operated at full power. At one turn gives 20 m ^ 3 a salon with a high temperature .. multiply it by 100 revolutions per minute gives 2000 m ^ 3 .. Probably a few balloons would be needed .. But also such a diesel power plant on the mainland can be improved a little in this way .. to no heat was wasted ...
https://www.new4stroke.com/balons.mp4

Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

That's right, but you can always buy a German product at home, which is the 3rd type of energy on Earth .. And the one who set the law is Lord Kelwin, who thought that birds fly because it is a divine matter ... But that's nobody this sharp view of reality bothers and many repeat it ...
But here is this German idea ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_syoflP ... cGZrFs-AcQ

Andrew :roll: