What the hell happened?

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
ArkSeaJumper
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Ireland

What the hell happened?

Post by ArkSeaJumper »

Hi
Have a go at guessing what happened here.

Just a cheep attempt at getting people to post. :)

ArkSeaJumper
Engineering Mentor

Post by ArkSeaJumper »

JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

LOL
If it was Halifax Harbour, I would say a pleasure boater, who had one too many bevies, ran in to it. Then blame everyone else for his ignorance!
ArkSeaJumper
Engineering Mentor

Post by ArkSeaJumper »

No, the location is not important (as it might give away the guility) but you might want to up scale a little.
ArkSeaJumper
Engineering Mentor

Post by ArkSeaJumper »

ok
Low interest rate, (not on like my savings)

This bouy, 2 meters X 4, was chopped by a ships propellor.

You can see where the prop came to a stop.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Oh that is MUCH better then anything I could come up with!
Now, did the Captain immediately throw the prop astern, only to remember belatedly that it is CPP?
ArkSeaJumper
Engineering Mentor

Post by ArkSeaJumper »

CPP Prop
The Captain had no time to do anything, luckily, the engine shut down, so ship drifting with no engine and a buoy stuck on the prop.
The crew were quick enough to drop the anchor, as she was just off the berth no damage done.

Their was surprisingly little damage to the prop as well, two blades damage, a small chunk out of the leading edge. A quick grind up by a diver and the ship was back in service.
No damage luckily to the main engine or gearing.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

I guess with the stern firmly anchored, the ship wasn't drifting far :)
A definite "Oh shite" moment though!

I've been on two ships that the Captain forgot about the CPP one direction rotation:
We had a ship stop in moving ice, the Captain was told by the Ice Captain not to de-clutch.
Not going into personalities, of course the Captain immediately de-clutched.
Ship is moving with ice, directly toward an island and the bottom is shoaling.
The plant is restarted and the engines clutched in. But, there is a chunk of ice jammed into the blades (which is why the Ice Captain advised against declutching), propeller is jammed, shaft clutch starts to slip. Engineroom calls bridge.
Captain's next decision is to throw the telegraph hard astern to clear the ice out of the propeller. Smoke from slipping clutch gets thicker.

I roll down on watch about this time in the proceeding, gagging and spewing at the stench. Chief is right behind me. We put the shaft turning gear in and turn out the ice just in time to save a major embarrasement.

The other time, a ship that will remain nameless, run over a channel marker buoy and proceeded to wrap the chain around the rotating components. The Captain reacted quickly throwing the telegraph astern and suceeded in wrapping the chain and buoy thoroughly in the Kort nozzle.
Remember Martin's post about 5 year survey of main engines? I think we did 6 or 7 units while on the dock as the shafting was being done. Maybe more, it became a blur at the end, between the 12 hour days and the runs ashore. We were doing a unit a day.