Canadian Offshore Industry wages

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
Barak
First Time Poster
Currently located: Nova Scotia

Canadian Offshore Industry wages

Post by Barak »

👋 Hey ,

I am a UK based Chief Mate DPO where as my wife is a Nurse from Canada.
She wants us to ultimately move to Nova Scotia. Since ever a lot of questions have been popping up in my brain.

1)Is it sensible in the first place to move from UK to Canada for someone like me who has only worked on Offshore Dp vessels?
2)What could be the day rate like for a Chief Mate DPO ?
3)Can Canadian seafarers work in US Gulf offshore ?
4)What are your views on the future of Canadian offshore oil and gas industry?
5)Does Transport Canada issues an CEC for a UK MCA COCs or do I need to appear for exams.

Cheers 😊 .
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: Canadian Offshore Industry wages

Post by The Dieselduck »

Nova Scotia is a lovely place with lovely people, just have a look at Trailer Park Boys on TV.

All kidding aside, the biggest concern for me would be your income. In Canada, all worlwide income is taxes at the same rate as if made in Canada, probably about 25% plus 5% exchange rate. You pay all the additional taxes and health plans fees as a resident, but aren't really home to take advantage of them. Not sure how it is in the UK, but i believe you have better tax system for offshore income. If you intend to keep working offshore, probably a good choice, because unless you are in Newfoundland in that offshore, majority of wages are quite low compared to cost of living and such.

Now there isn't anything to say that you have to be a resident of Canada to live in Canada, many aren't, so that may be a thing to consider.

2)What could be the day rate like for a Chief Mate DPO ? dont know, probably pretty good assuming you are connected to get in.

3)Can Canadian seafarers work in US Gulf offshore ? not anymore likely than any other nationality - i.e. not on US flagged vessels
4)What are your views on the future of Canadian offshore oil and gas industry? Is it hot at your place? Canada is heavily invested in oil and gas, but this is may not be a sound investment strategy for the long term.
5)Does Transport Canada issues an CEC for a UK MCA COCs or do I need to appear for exams. I understand Transport Canada does issue CoR for UK CoC. Have a look on their website.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net