First Class Naval Arch

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
sulzer
Bilge Dweller

First Class Naval Arch

Post by sulzer »

Dear Engineers,
I am currently prpeparing for the first class navel arch exams. Would like to know how many question comes from theory part of the paper.
I have been told there are atleast 4 questions out 9 from theory part is it true?
And is there any favourite chapters from where the questions are always a part of the paper?
Thanks.
Sébastien
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Québec

Re: First Class Naval Arch

Post by Sébastien »

Hello Sulzer, I have written the naval architecture exam in late 2006. Simply take the Reed's books and do all the questions from all the chapters and I guarantee you will pass the first time. If you cut corners and try to do it the fast way there's a good chance I will say 'I told you so'. It is not difficult but takes a lot of time. Good luck!
sulzer
Bilge Dweller

Post by sulzer »

Thanks a lot your advise, can you let me know about the theory part as i heard there are about 4 questions out of 9 which are theory.
Thanks
Sébastien
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Québec

Post by Sébastien »

What do you mean by theory part?
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

I was always told the exam questions were randomly generated.
sulzer
Bilge Dweller

Post by sulzer »

Sébastien wrote:What do you mean by theory part?
By Theory part I mean are questions based on Ship Construction.
carbob
Leak Patrol
Currently located: St. John's, NL

Post by carbob »

I wrote (and passed oddly!!) the 1st class naval arc in Dec., '08, and there were 5 math type questions and 4 long answer questions. In preparation, I went through the Reed's book, answering the questions at the end of each chapter, and managed to squeak a pass, so I guess that was enough!
Steveoreano
Bilge Dweller

Post by Steveoreano »

I've gone through the book and now looking at the quesions on this site. After doing all the Reeds questions I came up against a road block using Simpsons Rules. They are a real drag.

How do you find the MCT 1cm using the area of a waterplane when KG = KB. I can findthe BM but can't find the displacement. I'm working on questions 1, 2, 3 and 4 of Martins list.

Regards,
Steve Parkinson
Dartmouth Nova Scotia
CCGC 1983 Engineers
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

First Class Naval Arch (1NAR) is the largest question bank on 1st Class (Applied Mechanics has it in 2nd). The syllabus is spelled out in TP2293, Examination and Certification of Seafarers and consists roughly 60/40 stability/ship construction.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp ... 1774.htm#7

Stability questions tend to be of the mathematical type, and construction to be essay type questions. You are more or less garunteed at least one (or more) Simpson's Rule question and possibly a Second Moment question. If you can do all the First Class questions in Reeds, you will have a good chance of a pass. Of course, if you do all the maths questions and leave out the construction ones, get prepared for Orals!