3rd class GK question

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
ngineer
Bilge Dweller

3rd class GK question

Post by ngineer »

Hi,
I've been going through some notes while gearing up for the 3rd class general knowledege exam, and I was hoping for some clarification on a question regarding sterntubes.

How do you determine the wear down of an oil lubricated sterntube bearing, and what would a typical maximum wear down value be?

I have come up with answers for these questions involving water lubricated bearings using text books, but it is proving to be difficult to find definitive answers for the oil lubricated type.

Thanks
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: 3rd class GK question

Post by The Dieselduck »

Funny you should bring it up. I am going through that right now. Although we didn't do it right this time, you can measure wear between the tail shaft and its tail bush using a poker gauge.

The poker gauge is usually provided by the original installer of the shaft and seal to the vessel, and kept by the Chief Engineer. I did find it eventually, one for the port side, one for the stb side, and it looks like a depth gauge, but specific to the vessel and within the box was a record of previous measurement. (Sorry I did not take a picture for you, I will try to when I get back). It fits into the the seal housing, see picture for the plug furthest left (I believe).

Because we didn't do the poker gauge method of measuring, the yard just but a bottle jack under the propeller boss, and a a dial indicator at the TDC of the tail shaft, then pumped up the shaft, then released it. The total movement equals the clearance in the bush. Ours was .064" on one shaft, and .030" on the other. The largest clearance indicated a problem, and when the shaft was pulled, the bearing was found wiped and damaged, see picture.

I am not sure what a typical wear is, but I wasn't too worried with 0.030" neither was the Wartsila Tech. I suppose .020" might be better though. I believe there is a rule of thumb, but can't remember it right this minute - 1 millimeter for every 100 millimeter of shaft diameter or something like that.

You can check out http://www.bv-industrie.de/brochures/ for more info on stern tube seals and bush, although I did not find anything on your specific question.

Hope that helps,
Attachments
Tail shaft bushing with 0.030" clearance.
Tail shaft bushing with 0.030" clearance.
2009.02-William J Moore-Ile aux Coudres.ml.110.jpg (137.42 KiB) Viewed 11579 times
Tail shaft bushing with 0.064" clearance.
Tail shaft bushing with 0.064" clearance.
2009.02-William J Moore-Ile aux Coudres.ml.071.jpg (176.61 KiB) Viewed 11575 times
Stern tube sea side seal
Stern tube sea side seal
2009.02-William J Moore-Ile aux Coudres.ml.061.jpg (133.74 KiB) Viewed 11567 times
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
ngineer
Bilge Dweller

Post by ngineer »

Thanks for the info, that will be of great help!

Cheers
Madzng
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: London

Post by Madzng »

The poker gauge is the best way to measure the wear down, as this can be done with the vessel in the water, in a matter or hours.

Just remember to check if the washer was taken out for the first readings (it should of been), or you could give the super a heart attack. Remember it is not so much the actual measurement that is important, but the change from original/last reading taken.

Jacking the shaft up sounds a bit heavy handed, was done in the hope that it would not have to be opened up whilst in the dock?

Once the ship is out of the water with the seal and liner removed you can simply use a set of feeler gauges to take the clearance.

The actual bearing clearance will depend upon shaft diameter, lubrication type (oil/water) bearing material (white metal/synthetic or Lignum Vitae), and loading.

Dependant on the factors mentioned above and Class requirements the maximum bearing clearance will vary. Oil lubricated bearings will have a maximum recommended by the maker - controlled by design limitations, stress, alignment and loading.

Good luck
CapitalC
Bilge Dweller

Post by CapitalC »

I know that it is answer 6-9 for this exam, is it a minimum of 60% for a pass?
And for a thirds standard when they simply ask to describe a component do they expect a sketch like you would for a 2nd class exam. Our would it say sketch and describe?
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

It would be sketch and describe
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

A pic of a poker guage

Post by The Dieselduck »

Poker Guage.1.jpg
Poker Guage.1.jpg (58.68 KiB) Viewed 11364 times
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net