Canadian CEC

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
yous
Bilge Dweller

Canadian CEC

Post by yous »

Hi,

I am in the final stages of moving to Canada as a permanent resident. Does anyone know how I can go about getting a Canadian CEC for marine engineering?
Just looking for a link to a website as each province seems to have it's own Department of Transportation,

thanks

Yousef
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: Canadian CEC

Post by The Dieselduck »

First off Yousef, welcome to Canada. I hope the transition will be a smooth one for you.

The individual provinces do not deal with licensing of seafarers or vessels, that is a responsibility of the federal government under Transport Canada department. (http://www.tc.gc.ca/marine/menu.htm). On the training page of www.dieselduck.net (main site) you will find some information on the process of getting a license, and there are also some links that may be beneficial to you. Additionally, you can visit the TC FAQ where they address your specific question (http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/traini ... on/faq.htm). Hope that helps.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
yous
Bilge Dweller

Post by yous »

Thanks Martin,

I'm currently at college getting my UK 2nd Engineer license so once I'm finished here I'll get rolling with a Canadian CEC.
Thanks again, website's like yours help guys like me a hell of a lot and I really appreciate it,

Yousef
MASIUL
Bilge Dweller

Post by MASIUL »

Hi,
Just finished my exams for Canadian COC ,have a UK COC,couple of months trying hard to get an ashore job especially around Ontario region,it seems I am getting no where,any advise on the job sector?
Masiul
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Keep an eye on the Federal goverment website, recently there seems to be a few jobs popping up in there.
http://www.jobs.gc.ca
conrod
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Nanoose Bay BC, Canada

Post by conrod »

I am currently going through the process of getting my Canadian First Class, based on my UK Class 1. It is long and drawn out. Fortunately, I am close to a TC office (Nanaimo) and went in and spoke to the examiner. I then spent 2 hours filling out forms, mostly sea time details from my discharge book, but also the actual application.

All your docs need to be sent to Ottawa, Basic Sea Survival, CPSC, First Aid At Sea, Fire Fighting, Discharge Book (as well as the form), and UK Cert. Make sure they are good copies, and send ALL the pages. I just had an email back from Brian in Nanaimo, asking for 2 more pages of my UK Cert. Apparently the MCA could not confirm my ticket as being real, unless they had the full document.

To date it has taken about 6 weeks. The only course that I will HAVE to take is Engine Simulator..........hoping that everything else is OK. Again I am lucky as can do that in North Van. If you are not located in either Vancouver or Halifax, I think you will have to consider some serious travel to do the Eng Sim.

Good Luck.

Dave.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

As soon as I read, TC in Nanaimo, I thought of Brian...small world eh!?
Best to deal with.
conrod
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Nanoose Bay BC, Canada

Post by conrod »

Honestly I take my hat off to all the staff in Nanaimo. Donna and Brian have kept me up to speed with the way things are progressing. We even had a laugh and a joke over the TC web site !!!!

I took my 12 son with me the day I went in to get the forms, and rather than leave and come back over the lunch time, Brian stayed behind so I could complete all the forms and he did the bulk of the photo copies. They even had stuff to keep my son amused.

Great crowd.

Dave.

ps. I forgot to add on that copies of college certs will also be required, and grades are preferred. As I did a MNTB Cadetship, that was easy, but if you were going in as an idependent it may not be quite so simple.
MASIUL
Bilge Dweller

Post by MASIUL »

Tks Jk,
Will look up the Government sites as suggested.
Masiul