4th Class Orals

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
Mike_88
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Vancouver, British Columbia

4th Class Orals

Post by Mike_88 »

Hello, I am going to be doing my oral exam for my 4rth class license soon, and am just a bit worried about it. The automatic fail questions are pretty clear, but there are just so many other questions that I could be asked. Nobody can predict what I will be asked, but maybe if anyone has any tips from past experience, on how to deal with oral exams, it would be much appreciated. I have never done an oral exam, so as you might imagine I am quite nervous about doing so for the first time. Thanks in advance.
Madzng
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: London

Re: 4th Class Orals

Post by Madzng »

Hi Mike_88

You dont mention which country you are in, and I dont know how much of a difference that makes to the exam or syllabus.

In the UK, the oral exams to a limited extent are as easy as you make them. Within the first few questions the examiner will decide if he likes you and believes that you are capable of doing the job. If you seem underconfident, or arrogant then the examiner will make it as hard as possible

It is not much diferent than an interview;
Dress smartly, treat the examiner with respect, be confident, but also be honest and dont try to bullshit him.

The most important thing for the examiner is to know that you are going to be safe. That you will not endager your own life, that of the people on the ship with you, or the ship and its machinery. If you do not know something you will read the manual, ask the second or even the Chief Engineer. Basic machinery and engine room knowledge is of course also vital.

If you start to think about all the subjects you could be quized on you will get yourself worked up, and too stressed to think straight. There is a high chance that you will be asked questions that you cant answer, but this can be to see your reactions and to find out what you would do if something in the engine room happened which you did not immediately know the answer too.

They know that you are nervous, and can help you by passing over a question you cant answer and coming at it a few minutes later from a different direction.

Always remember that they are not there to fail you. Good luck
Mike_88
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Vancouver, British Columbia

Post by Mike_88 »

Hello there. Sorry, I did not mention where I was from. I am from Vancouver Canada. And thank you for the response, I think I am getting a better picture of how this works now. Very good points you made there. Thanks again.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Crap, I just lost my whole post due to a finger malfunction. :evil:

Basically, during the written exam keep track of where you seemed weak and brush up on those areas before the orals.

Remember safety, as has been pointed out.

When you get into the exam type questions in the higher tickets, make a point to remember the 9 asked.
Study the 3 you didn't answer, brush up on the ones you were weak on.

You'll be fine, it is a stressful process and it shows the Examiner how you deal with situations.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Since 1 July 2007, when the Canada Shipping Act 2001 and it's associated Regulations (including the Marine Personnel Regulations) were activated, there are no "automatic fail" questions in 4th Class Engineer certification. If you should fail because of an "automatic fail" question, contact TC Certification Examinations headquarters at AMSP, 8th floor, 330 Sparks Street, Ottawa and appeal the failure. The Examiner who failed you is not current with Regulations and will need an Examiner's Refresher.

I advised Martin of this several months ago and suggested the Library should be updated.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Welcome to the Forum, JollyJack, I look forward to more of your educational posts.