Crankshaft Deflection

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
offshoresnipe
Officer of the Watch

Re: Crankshaft Deflection

Post by offshoresnipe »

Great post.
Just wanted to thank all of you for your input, keeps my mind firering.
Like your quote JK!
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Heehee too bad I managed to type it with a typo, but it does put things in perspective, doesn't it?
Dieseldame
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Nova Scotia / Caribbean

Post by Dieseldame »

Guess we'll know you when we see you :D

DD
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

I changed the avatar sizes to a something bigger, let me know if you need more. Also added a new custom field for the profile...
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
WartsilaRoadWarrior
Bilge Dweller

Post by WartsilaRoadWarrior »

I have to say that abnormal deflection readings can absolutley point to damaged bearing shells. Although thats not the only possible cause as previously mentioned.
J
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Another new member!
Welcome.

Post Often , it makes the Forum better for the rest when people share their knowledge and experience.
Dieseldame
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Nova Scotia / Caribbean

Post by Dieseldame »

Hey WartsilaRoadWarrior I wonder what issues you have seen arising from abnormal deflection readings?

DD
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

Sorry but I completely disagree with Wartsila Road Warrior. This is a widely held misconception.
I don't want to get into a p....... match, but if anyone can show me an entry in a Modern Makers manual or Text Book that says worn bearings can cause excessive deflections I will eat my proverbial hat and make a donation to the charity of their choice.

Wear or damage to the bearings can not cause deflections.

To cause a deflection a force has to push the crankshaft out of alignement, in a fixed direction relative to the main bearings, so that the direction of the force on the crankshaft is changing as it turns. How can excessive bearing clearance cause this force?
Modern crankshafts are short & stiff to resist the firing loads, they will not deflect under their own weight.
See my explanation way back in my 2nd post on this topic.

Even if you removed the shells from one main bearing entirely, then took a set of deflections, I doubt if you would see a significant change in the deflections. ( Unless the shells removed were adjacent to the cam shaft drive chain or flywheel.)

If the bearings are sufficiently out of line to give excessive deflections that would cause damage to the bearings, or the bearing damage could be coincidental.
Excessive tension in the cam shaft drive chain could also give high deflections and cause bearing damage, but in this case I would expect problems with the cam shaft bearings as well and excessive wear on the chain.

Big Pete
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.