Broadband on board

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
ArkSeaJumper
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Ireland

Broadband on board

Post by ArkSeaJumper »

Hi all
I am a desk driving engineer these days, and I'm tring to set up, or find a good broadband package for the vessels in the company.
If posable i would like to tap into the pool of experence both shore and sea going to find a always on system for both crew and ship's stuff to use.
I know there are some pachages just coming out, and others (very expansive) have been out for a long time.

This is for (mostly) small ships, not much room on the monkey island for big domes.

thanks for any and all help
TxMarEng
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Albuquerque New Mexico

Check out KVH

Post by TxMarEng »

JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

I just checked with our wizards and they are in the process of installing a Telesat Canada system.
It will provide email and TV anywhere to the ship. The largest dome they are installing is a 600#, but that is a ship that carries over 100 persons including scientists. The rest are much smaller
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

MTN

Post by The Dieselduck »

My only experience for broadband access on ships, was through MTN on cruise ships. The service on board was great, high speed and pretty reliable. They have a extensive reach into the cruise ship market, I am sure they must have an offshoot for smaller vessels.

check out http://www.seamobile.com/
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net