sensitive sensor

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
pem
Bilge Dweller

sensitive sensor

Post by pem »

I try to find informations about sensitive sensors fitted on some slow speed engines to detect piston rings wear and / or piston rings moves. How is it working ?
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Re: sensitive sensor

Post by Big Pete »

Hi Pem,

Welcome to the site.

I think you are talking about the Wartsila NSD "SIPWA" system and the Man/ B&W " Computer Controlled Surveillance package".

If I remember correctly, they use sensors embedded in the liner that sense the change in the electrical inductance as the ring passes.

I am sure that using the names above you will find more information on line.
Information degrades the further away from the original source it travels, so I would start with the Engine Buiders websites..

Happy Diesel Ducking.

BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
Madzng
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: London

Post by Madzng »

The latest way to minitor ring behaviour in the engine is with a package for Wartsila engines called MAPEX-PR http://www.wartsila.com/Wartsila/global ... proved.pdf

This measures the liner wall temperature and is sensitive enough to show when the ring gap is passing the sensor.

If set up correctly the system is a useful tool, and can alert the engineers to SSW (sudden severe wear) before it has chance to cause significant damage.

If not set up corrcetly it is simply another alarm to wake up the duty engineer at random times of the night.

Another, only recently introduced, system http://www.linerscan.com/ provides an online measurement of the iron content (ppm) in the stuffing box drains. This is a little more subjective and relys on a change in measurement rather than an absolute reading but can alert the engineer to SSW amongst other things.

I have seen MAPEX working successfully, and know it has saved a large number of liners, but have not seen the Kittiwake system in action, although I have heard some good things about it.

I hope the above helps.
pem
Bilge Dweller

Post by pem »

Thanks to all for your reply.
I have asked on my side to some of my colleagues who knows more about these issues than I do. They referred me to the company Maridis (www.maridis.de). Maridis should supposedly be the only company with a finished ‘package’ to monitor cylinder ring condition.