Tanker Endorsement

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
Jon
Deck Plate Wanderer

Tanker Endorsement

Post by Jon »

Does anyone now about the tanker endorsement cert?
Is it worth getting one?
Which places out east offer the course? Are there any schools that offer an online version?
Just interested. It seems like another way to squeeze money out of us.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: Tanker Endorsement

Post by The Dieselduck »

About this time last year I took my Level 1 Tanker familiarization course - oil and chemical from Holland College in Summerside, PEI. At the time, it was the first course offered under the new TC syllabus, and was still undergoing TC approval - which they did apparently get in the end. I am not sure what other facility offers it, I know it is pretty rare to find an available spot.

The course itself was ok, some things were better than others, but overall I enjoyed the experience. I don't think anyone is offering Level 1 online. Level 2 is acquired following service on a tanker, upon assessment by Ship Safety inspector.

Hope that helps,
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Madzng
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: London

Post by Madzng »

Hi Jon,

I can't answer any of the Canada specific questions, but would recommend getting a tanker endoresment.

I have spent the majority of my career working on the Gas and Petroelum tankers and it seems in general that the oil majors treat their staff far better than those sailing on general cargo, container or passenger ships.

The money can also be better and life onboard seems far more relaxed when compared to the time I spent on Ferries or Containerships.

Maintaining the endorsement will give you more job opportunities both at sea and ashore.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Tanker endorsements are covered in sections 159 to 167 of the Marine Personnel Regulations.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/SOR-2007-115/ or http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/SOR-2007- ... 1-gb:s_154

Approved courses on the East coast of Canada are offered from time to time by schools on the following list

http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/mar ... 10655b.pdf

specifically Marine Institute (SJFC) P.O. Box 4920 155 Ridge Road St. John’s, NL A1C 5R3 and

Holland College, Marine Centre, 100 Water Street, Summerside, PE, CIN 1A9

There's a French version in Rimouski, other courses are taught at Georgian College in Owen Sound and in BCIT, North Vancouver.
The Dieselduck
Administrator

Post by The Dieselduck »

Here's is a question I recently got by email... and my reply below. I think Jolly Jack might have some additional input, to clarify...

Question -

A friend of mine says he's in a bit of a Catch 22 and maybe I'll have the same problem, so I thought I'd ask you about it.

He's been looking for jobs Canada and overseas and a lot of the postings (1st or 2nd cert) require a tanker endorsement. I'm not up on the requirements but it does require seatime on a tanker (makes sense), but a thirds job on a tanker is harder to find (he tells me). I'm just starting to look into it myself, but I thought you would have some insight on how to overcome this. He doesn't mind a junior engineer's job to learn the stuff and maybe it is possible to get a thirds job or something, I haven't looked myself (yet).

My answer -

Basically, you need three months of sea time (within five years) on a tanker, working in a cargo handling capacity, AND/OR a tanker familiarization course. I am confuse with the exact wording of the regulation, very poorly written for clarity. Personally, I did the Familiarization course, and had three months seatime for mine, so no problem either way, but I believe it is sea time OR course. The regs are here http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/SOR-2007- ... 1-gb:s_154. The familiarization is probably all you’ll need as an engineer on a tanker, but there is also another ticket which is basically “in charge of tanker operations”, previously known as Level 2 Tanker Endorsement, now known as “Supervisor of Oil Transfer Operation” and to achieve this, you just need relevant sea time, 3 months.

The other thing to keep in mind is that there is different types of tankers, GAS, Oil and Chemical, and also differing regions (arctic) which come into play. So the whole thing is a bit confusing. The official wording is confusing so its best to phone in to TC and find out their take for a particular case.

You also need to have a valid Marine Basic First Aid for the Tanker Endorsement, but then again your best to get the new Marine Advance First Aid (MAFA) as it is pretty much the standard for any other transactions (license renewal, MEDs and such), all now are only valid for five years.

Over all it all pretty confusing, and more demanding than it used to be. Before, some guys just had the endorsement for years on end, and sat on it as an added ticket bonus, but now, you have to be pretty sure to use it in order for it to be worth the hassle/cost – plus the old “use or lose it” clause comes into play.

Hope that helps,
Martin Leduc
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

Tanker Endorsements are covered in sections 159 to 167 of the Marine Personnel Regulations. Endorsements are type-specific for oil, chemical and liquified gas. Oil, Chemical or Gas transfer endorsements specified in sections 161 to 164 (SOTO etc) are applicable to shore facilities as well as vessels, although the tanker endorsements are more applicable to purely ship based operations.

In order to be issued a "Level One" as it was called, now Oil and Chemical Tanker Familiarization, sections 159 and 160, one needs a Familiarization course OR 3 month's service on a tanker. In order to be issued a Specialized Endorsement, (old "Level 2") sections 165 to 167, you need to hold a Certificate of Competence as Master, Mate or Engineer, have three months service WHILE HOLDING OCTF ENDORSEMENT within 5 years of applying for the Endorsement AND a Specialized Tanker training course in the appropriate tanker type within 5 years of the application.

For gas, the same applies, but familiarization must be on a gas tanker and the Specialized course must also be gas.

In order to renew tanker endorsements, you must be able to prove 3 months service in the appropriate tanker type within the previous 5 years, supported by Testimonials indicating that you have acquired service assisting in cargo operations. As Martin says, use it or lose it.

The full MPR can be accessed here:

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2007-115/
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

tut tut Martin, you said "but then again your best to get the new Marine Advance First Aid (MAFA) as it is pretty much the standard for any other transactions (license renewal, MEDs and such), all now are only valid for five years."

Have a look at section 107 of the MPR posted in my previous submission. There is no requirement for First Aid to renew Certificates. First Aid, which for officers, is MAFA, is only required for issuing a new Certificate, NOT for renewal. Rating's Certificates (ERR, BW etc) do not expire and MBFA is required for issuing these certificates. Both MBFA and MAFA are now valid for 5 years, despite what St John Ambulance training certificates say. (The training certificates specify 3 years, but they want to make money, right?)

MEDs are valid for 5 years, as you say, but service on a ship, in which emergency drills are carried out regularly as required by ISM, continues validity, ie they don't expire as long as you are at sea. However, if you have been ashore for 5 years, you will need to take a refresher MED at the appropriate level, STCW VI/1 basic safety for 4th Class, , MED D for the rest. Again, if you have been ashore for 5 years and do not have PPS training at the appropriate level, you will need to get that.

These are TC requirements, not whatever additional requirements are specified by shipowners in la la land. They can ask for skills in dancing the tango, if they wish, but that won't affect what you need to write or renew.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
The Dieselduck
Administrator

Post by The Dieselduck »

I knew you would provide much more depth than I can provide. Thanks for that.
Martin Leduc
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

yes I certainly appreciate Jolly Jack taking the time to answer as well
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer