Priming the Boiler...

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
Dieseldame
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Nova Scotia / Caribbean

Priming the Boiler...

Post by Dieseldame »

So, can someone help me understand what "priming the boiler" is as referred to as being dangerous in the "guaranteed fail question"?? Sounds like it can happen when the water level in a boiler is above the steam cock.

Second, what exactly is the danger of adding water to a boiler when the level is below the water cock? Details....I need details!

:lol:
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Priming the boiler is overfilling it so that water is carried over with the steam. This will have disastrous consequences downstream such as Water hammer and recip engine damage.
Adding water to a boiler when the water level is below the cock ( I am talking Scotch Marine Boiler)can cause a collapse of your combustion chamber or furnace.
If the water level is below the cock, you have no idea how low the water level is and the combustion chamber crown will be exposed. Relatively low temperature water added the boiler will cause shock to the boiler internals.
If you collapse the combustion chamber, you kill a lot of people as the remaining boiler water will flash to steam upon hitting atmospheric pressure.
Dieseldame
Engineering Mentor

Many thanks

Post by Dieseldame »

Thanks JK..excellent answer, much appreciated.

DD
ArkSeaJumper
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Ireland

Post by ArkSeaJumper »

Ahh
The lumpy steam question.

There is a small trick when the steam level is below the gauge glass, you can blow the water side down, if you get water, then the level is JUST below the gauge, but still 'safe' to top the water level up.

Happy Christmes to all
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

I made the assumption that the question referred to the 3 test cocks on the back of the boiler.
This actually happened to me when I was a young watchkeeper. It scared the hell out of me, especially when I realized how long the previous watch had been firing the boiler in this condition.
Happy days

Mery Christmas to you as well. You'll be seeing the big elf about 4 hours earlier then here
Dieseldame
Engineering Mentor

Blow me down

Post by Dieseldame »

Okay, so now I'm a little confused again. But lets see if I can get this. There may be a sight glass below the test cocks..so if the water is above that but below the test cocks we are okay. If it is below the sight glass blowing it down will tell you if there is still water. The question I now have is how I would know what the level of water is between seeing water in the gauge and having no water from blow down. I'm assuming that at some point between these two levels the combustion chamber crown becomes exposed....?
Sébastien
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Québec

Post by Sébastien »

Some boilers have three cocks on the gauge glass and that's it, but some boilers have long lengths of pipe connecting the gauge glass cocks to the boiler. On small boilers these pipes will be directly connected to the boiler while on large boilers there will be an extra two cocks to isolate these lines. These pipes are usually not horizontal (to let air escape) and therefore extend far below and above the level of the sight glass. For example you may have a boiler with a sight glass two feet high with the connections on the boiler one foot above the upper cock and two feet below the lower cock. What ArkSeaJumper and JK are referring to is the condition where the water level is above the lower connection on the boiler but not yet visible in the sight glass. Boiler manufacturers nearly always place the lower connection above the top level of the furnace so that water can be added without fear of damage due to thermal shock.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

And some boilers have 3 test cocks located in the back besides the gauge glass.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Safety first

Post by The Dieselduck »

Perhaps I can simplify things by saying that if you do not see the level in the glass you are in dangerous territory for the stated reasons above.

Thats my two cents.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
TxMarEng
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Albuquerque New Mexico

Good answer Martin!

Post by TxMarEng »

Either scenario high or low, high being particular on a propulsion boiler or one driving TG's or cargo pump turbines makes for a not so happy day for an injunear!

Remember ~ "keep the lights burning while your on watch and don't try to dazzle the Chief with any fancy footwork"
carbob
Leak Patrol
Currently located: St. John's, NL

Priming the boiler..

Post by carbob »

I can't believe that we are still being taught about and questioned about Scotch marine boilers in examinations. Are there any still in service?
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

The question never specified Scotch marine, that was my example.