The first daft question....

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
Grecian
Tanktop Cleaner

The first daft question....

Post by Grecian »

I am getting together as much kit as I can before my course starts in September. I have thought of the obvious stuff like overall and boots, but was wondering what else I would need. Tools and such are supplied by the college so I don't have to worry about that for the time being, but is there any other practical kit or books which may be worth getting in the meantime?

I am already working on the maths (a difficult subject for me because of the dyscalculia (dyslexia with numbers) so I am not too worried there.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: The first daft question....

Post by JK »

a good scientific calculator. When I went to college, a cool $90, now you can get them for $20, (only now I can't remember how to use all of the functions!).
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

I agrre with JK a good scientific calculator is a must, they cost peanuts now, my first one when I was a phase 3 cadet cost a months pay...(Before that we used slide riules, lubricated with graphite from soft pencils, 4B, for extra speed)
The College may reccommend a particular make and model and they may also have a list of requirements, it might be a good idea to contact them in case they are trying to standardise the tools & equipment students use and you buy different gear.
I don't know if you use drawing instruments any more, it is such a long time since I was at College, maybe you do all your Drawing & Design on computer now, that is something else to check with the College.
They may send out a list of equipment shortly before you start or even the first week at College, so I would check with them before you go on a shopping spree.
I am sure you will require the usual pens, pencils, rubbers, paper (Lined & graph), rulers, folders, files, staplers, hole punches etc and a bag to carry them all to lectures.
If you wear glasses, prescription safety glasses may be a good idea, but I would wait and see how you get on with safety goggles on top of spectacles before you spend your money, and I expect you will have to provide your own safety boots and boilersuite for workshop time.

Big Pete
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

I think I slid a slide ruler once.
Lubricate with graphite, eh? Now that is a high speed processor!
Grecian
Tanktop Cleaner

Post by Grecian »

I have a boyfriend who still uses a slide rule, you have to drag him kicking and screaming to a computer before he will use CAD. His view is that he has ratings for, to do the computer work for him :lol:

paper, pens, etc on the way to being sorted, calculator done (my world would fall apart without one!) Hadn't thought of safety specs. Being a specky git it was something that just hadn't crossed my mind. I do weak contact lenses for when I play sports so I may well try those first and see how I get on with those. Boots...stolen from my current job working for the ambulance service (safety boots as standard on the ambos) Boilersuit, brought and in use already. I didn't really fancy the idea of wearing some hairy arse blokes spare coveralls...or is that me just being too girly. :roll:

even better, have my time off work for my day release guranteed from work :mrgreen:
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Sounds like a good start then. Don't make your questions too hard, you'll have us pleading for mercy!
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

The "daft question" is the one which is never asked, so if a question is asked, it follows that it cannot be a "daft" question.