Refit Inspection resources/books

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
iamdiscostu
Bilge Dweller

Refit Inspection resources/books

Post by iamdiscostu »

Howdy folks!

Long time reader, first time poster. You know the score, quiet 'til I need something, right? :wink:

So, I've just sat and flunked my MCA Class 2 Unlimited oral (BBBOOOOOOOOOOOO). To be honest, I don't think I was ever close to passing and the dude ripped me a new one within 5 minutes of sitting down.
One of the things he picked me up on was Refit Inspections. Now, I've always been 2nd eng on small ships and I have NEVER done a refit inspection, so you can imagine me flapping and bluffing and trying to fight my corner on something I know little about.
What I'm needing is a good (Idiots Guide) book that covers inspections to be carried out pre/post refit. The more detail the better, if it includes a step-by-step guide to planning and taking charge of a refit then double score.
Online resources are also welcome, as is any advice the older and bolder members of the forum could give me.

Many thanks,

Stu. :)
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: Refit Inspection resources/books

Post by JK »

If it breaks the ice and get you posting, not a problem. The more posters, the more technical expertise comes up.
To clarify, Is this an out of water docking refit?
(If so I had almost the same question on my 2nds.)
iamdiscostu
Bilge Dweller

Post by iamdiscostu »

Hi JK,

yea, for a shipyard docking period/refit. I blustered away for a few minutes or so about corrosion/ errosion/ anodes/ cracked welds and such, but I think he was looking for something a little more informed and structured.

Stu.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Yes, when you sit for Orals, you have to calmly work your way through it step by step. That's tough to do when you are sweating your way through your shirt. (I'm very happy to have mine done :)) I'll bet you know more about it then you think.

(I'm packing between typing here, BTW)

Planning:

Defect lists
Regulatory \ Class requirements
Diver surveys of hull, rudder, propeller if the opportunity arises.
Work planned for engine or other equipment while on dock.
Steel work\damage repqirs
New equipment install

Hopefully this has been done at least 2 months ahead of time to allow ordering:

Parts required for shaft seals, propeller parts have been catologued and ordered to be delivered prior to vessel docking.
Parts required for any engine work or other equipment being surveyed, on hand.
New Equipment ordered

Tanks to be opened, fuel to be moved into tanks not being surveyed or allowed to run down to minimum amounts.
All tanks sounded for docking and logged.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Sorry, I never had a chance to get back.

Talk about coincidence though, a set of books I ordered ( then completely forgot about) for the office, arrived today and what is the title of one?

Drydocking and Shipboard Maintenance
http://www.mandibooks.com/ProductDetail ... 11&MATCH=1

It looks like it has what you are looking for.

Much as this is fun, back to packing, which is not.
iamdiscostu
Bilge Dweller

Post by iamdiscostu »

Thanks JK!

I've ordered that book, looks like just the thing I'm looking for. I also ordered Reeds Marine Surveying 2nd Ed after a recommendation from an old shipmate, hopefully between the two there'll be enough info to get me over that particular hurdle. I'll let you have a brief book review when they arrive and I've had a chance to go through them.

Thanks again,

Stu.