Engineering cadetship

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
tomseldest
First Time Poster

Engineering cadetship

Post by tomseldest »

Both the Marine institute in St John's, NF and NSCC Port Hawksbury offer Marine engineering Cadetships. St John's is 4 years and Port Hawksbury is 3 years. Can anyone shed any light on the diference between the two and the costs associated with the courses. My two sons are interested in a career in marine engineering.
Thank you
Mark
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: Engineering cadetship

Post by JK »

Did you try talking to both of the facilities?
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

When I did my apprenticeship, similar to the cadet program, it was four years officially but the schooling was actually 3 years. The rest was for catch up and shipboard practice - MED and the First Aid was "extra" and not offered through the official program. I think the schooling (syllabus), if it is approve by Transport Canada, must be nearly identical. So I suspect that the difference may be that a MED courses, First Aid and the likes may or may not be include under the Cadet Program banner. If not, then these "extra courses" would be outside the program, yet still be required to complete to meet the requirements of the license. I know BCIT in Vancouver also offers, well, use to offer, an additional year for diesel engine mechanic, to reinforce the technical hands on aspect. Making the program a solid four years, but the actual ME theoretical part was still three years.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

The requirements for the Marine Engineer Cadet Programme are specified in TP 8911 which can be accessed here:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp ... u-1448.htm

All providers of this course must meet or exceed these requirements.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".