Small Vessel Machinery Operator (SVMO)

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
Brian Brooks
Mechanic

Re: Small Vessel Machinery Operator (SVMO)

Post by Brian Brooks »

jollyjack

Things are getting very interesting. I now have a failed candidate who wishes to re-attempt the challenge exam (also lower mainland BC). All have agreed to provide approximate results of their exam (no actual marks) plus a brief review of the manual (evaluation) in their own words, no holds barred. I'm getting some really good stuff.

I just wish that my friends Bruno Duguay and John Dunn at AMSPE in Ottawa would try to speed up the process of review. I know this is one of the things that is beginning to wrankle my employer who has agreed to put money into this project and knows full well the tenets of public service quality assurance (most of which have been dashed in this case).

The book has been there for almost 7 months and the demand out in the field is hard to exagerate. It has the potential to change the entry-level small vessel engineering safety and competence factor forever. Candidates seem to voluntarily want to study and learn more.

The concept is to convert it to on-line password access once we get to the fourth edition, partnering it with the chat room/thread in this web site to give it "legs".

Any advice?
Best regards,

Brian
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Are you looking for an "Approved Course" designation? There's no need for that really, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and your candidate's success rate in the Examinations (for which there is no charge) will prove your pudding.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

Congratulations Brian,

You appear to have a success n your hands!
I hope your Boss is impressed and thinks it was all woth the cost.

BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
Brian Brooks
Mechanic

Post by Brian Brooks »

Hi all:

Yes. My boss is definitely impressed. This was the way the project was supposed to unfold, especially since our focus was improving ship safety (for both ourselves and others in a targeted industry which projects a wobbly image in some respects).

In any event, I'm in the process of getting out books to those who asked for them, and were willing to provide a review...or...who are about to write their exam...or...who have failed the SVMO and want to assure success the next time around.

There are some additional candidates in the west, however, we are about to start testing in Ontario. I will keep a running account in this thread for anyone who is interested.

Best regards,

Brian
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Congratulations Brian, your hard work is paying off.
I agree with JollyJack, the proof is in the pudding. If you wait on the policy wankers in Ottawa to pony up and make a decision, the opportunity will pass you by.
Brian Brooks
Mechanic

Post by Brian Brooks »

All those interested in SVMO test Manual exam results...

There are 6 candidates writing their SVMO exams during this two-week period. All are in lower mainland B.C. and Vancouver Island. Most have studied largely...some exclusively...from the Hamilton Waterfront Trust SVMO Training Manual (test version edition 2).

So far results are in from one ---85%. This candidate has remembered a remarkable 50 of the 60 questions on the exam so that content of the manual can be adjusted where necessary.

Remember, the objective of the manual is ship safety. That is, that candidates for small vessel engineering watch become knowledgeable and interested in engineering because they actually understand and know more, and are able to reference technical information for ongoing troubleshooting if they are operating alone in their job, and lastly, that they can use the Comon Rail web site, Training Room chat room and SVMO thread to find out stuff they don't know.

Good luck to all (break a leg!).

Brian Brooks
TCB MARINE
Bilge Dweller

Post by TCB MARINE »

Brian

I have been teaching the S.V.M.O. since 2007, currently I have no persons failing the exam, 30 people have passed.
I spend time with the students along with a study guide I developed in 2007.
If I could assist you with any persons in the B.C area I will be more than willing.

Regards,

Todd

TCB MARINE CONSULTING SERVICES
Todd Braconnier
1543 Hunter St., N. Vancouver, BC, V7J 1H4, CANADA
Tel: (+1) 604.985.5093 | Mob: (+1) 604.375.0923|
[email protected]
http://www.tcbmarine.ca
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

Hey Todd, long time no see. Go to know about your new endeavors.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Brian Brooks
Mechanic

Post by Brian Brooks »

Todd

Thanks for the reply. I now have a small group of people writing the challenge exam in the lower mainland (and in other parts of Canada) - most using the Waterfront Trust SVMO Training Manual as a study reference. This is like a pilot test. Good results so far, but no intention of going any further with testing.

I'd like to maintain communications with you, though, if you don't mind.

Best personal regards,

Brian
Brian Brooks
Mechanic

Post by Brian Brooks »

Hi all:

Soon to be posted;

Exam results of candidates using the new training manual in the lower mainland of B.C., plus many, many comments on exam question variations and systems to understand.

Keep watching this space. Best to everyone,

Brian
Brian Brooks
Mechanic

Post by Brian Brooks »

Here are a couple of exam questions which the candidate had trouble with...

Cock used for double bottom tanks. (I assume this refers to a weighted cock which caps a sounding tube)
1) Is it kept in place when not in use?
2) Left open?
3) For cleaning the tank?
It would appear that 1) is correct - to avoid noxious or explosive gases from escaping the tank.
Any comments?

What type of valves are used in a bilge system?
1) Gate valve
2) Screw-down, non-return valve
A non-return valvbe of some sort would appear to be the correct choice.
Any comments?

Brian.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

With regards to the first question, Brian, option 1 is correct. It's a Load Line issue, as the sounding pipe terminates below the waterline, any breach of the tank to the sea will cause uncontrolled ingress of sea water. The weighted cock prevents that by ensuring the end of the pipe is closed.

Bilge systems have screw-down non-return valves, (water goes out only) ballast sytems have screw lift valves. (water goes out when deballasting and in when ballasting)
Brian Brooks
Mechanic

Post by Brian Brooks »

Hi Jollyjack

Many thanks for the previous comments.

Another interesting question has arrived. Perhaps you have something to add.

What is a cofferdam?

A cofferdam is a subdivision of a hull compartment or hold which runs longitudinally in the ship, often down the centreline. The Cofferdam rarely reaches up to the underside of the weather deck (like a bulkhead does) , but is rather a wall to separate different bulk cargoes from one another or to keep a bulk cargo from shifting dangerously.

What do you think? Anyone welcome to comment.

Brian
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

A cofferdam is basically a void space which separates tanks containing different substances. Should one tank leak, it will not contaminate the other. eg fresh water tanks are separated from oil tanks and sewage holding tanks by a cofferdam. Ship construction usually dictates thwartship tanks, so, for example, a cofferdam would be incorporated between cargo tanks and accommodation spaces.

They may, indeed, extend from keelson to weather deck, depending on the application. You can see this quite clearly in Kemp and Young's sketch of a tanker on p 109 of the referenced publication. In some applications, a pump room or water ballast space can substitute for a cofferdam, as shown in the sketch on p 110 of the same book. There is a bilge suction in each void space.

The longitudinal cofferdam in a tanker or bulker is usually called the pipe tunnel, or duct keel, in which runs ballast, cargo and bilge piping, with associated valves. Not a lot of fun cramped down there in a seaway repairing and overhauling remote valve actuators!

See "Ship Construction", 2nd Edition, D.J. Eyres, published by Heinemann, London (a bit technical for the layman)

Kandy's, "Ship Construction, Sketches and Notes" Kemp and Young, published by Stanford Maritime, London. (excellent sketches in here)
Brian Brooks
Mechanic

Post by Brian Brooks »

Hi JK:

Thanks for that excellent explanation of the cofferdam.

I pulled out Kemp & Young and took a look at your reference. All good.

Best regards.

Brian