Marine ERR -- please advised me were i find marine jobs

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
mircea
First Time Poster

Marine ERR -- please advised me were i find marine jobs

Post by mircea »

Hi

I just came in Canada from Romania, I take here the exam for Engine Room Ratind no restriction, I have Seafarer’s Book Canadian, Certificate Engine-Room Rating ERR Canada, IMO certificate of competency corresponding to the rank Motorman (STCW-1995), Minister of Transport recognized me one year at sea.
I looking for a job like motorman, motorman assistant, ERR, ERR assistant, oiler .

If you can, please guid me to find a job in marine industry. Vancouver area.
Thanks Mircea
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: Marine ERR -- please advised me were i find marine jobs

Post by The Dieselduck »

On the west coast, your options are limited to just a few outfits. BC Ferries and Coast Guard, both based in Victoria, they are pretty much the biggest consumers of engine room ratings, as most goods on the coast move by smaller tugs and barge, rarely requiring licensed engineers, and even less er ratings. Call the Huron St Coast Guard Base in Victoria, and ask for Fleet Human Resources - BC Ferries I think you can go directly to either Tsawassen or Horseshoe Bay terminal administration office, they usually have info posted there, and may even have a live person to inform you. You can contact the Seafarers International Union (SIU - http://www.seafarers.ca/) in Vancouver, and the International Longshoreman and Warehouse Union (ILWU - http://www.ilwu.ca/Local_400.html) both these unions represent seagoing ratings and may have some more information to offer you.

You can also send your resume to Great Lakes companies, although it was very rare for anyone, officer or rating, from west of Toronto to work in this fleet a few years ago, the last couple of years has seen a change in this policy which may be to your benefit. Here again though, your probably best to contact the SIU in Montreal if you choose to go this route.

All the best to you. Marine job hunting in Canada is a very depressing and confusing exercise, try not to let it get to your head and take it personally.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
szrad
Bilge Dweller

Post by szrad »

Hi,
I have the same problem finding job in marine,
I got my 4th Class Certificate (Motorship) from Transport Canada almost 6 month ago and doing my 3rd class examinations now, while trying to find related marine job, but still nothing I get.
Actually I have 12 years experience ( 9 years as marine 5th / 4th and 3rd engineer and 3 years office experience as engine cadets coordinator and supervisor)
I tried BC Ferries and some other companies in west coast and also Toronto side, but I did not understand that it might be an issue.specially when I see you replied in your previous reply for mircea. actually it is not clear that said "although it was very rare for anyone, officer or rating, from west of Toronto to work in this fleet a few years ago, the last couple of years has seen a change in this policy which may be to your benefit."
Pls let me know applying for marine jobs from east for west coast companies can be an issue? or is there any problem cuz every few days we find something new which sounds unfamilliar to us ( I mean for Immigrants ) and sometimes I feel there are many things that we do not know about working environment and may be some hidden sort of things here in Canada.
jimmyf
Bilge Dweller

Post by jimmyf »

Toonto Island Ferries hiring engineers:
http://www.brainhunter.com/frontoffice/ ... age=search
aron
Tanktop Cleaner
Currently located: Rimouski

Post by aron »

Hi,
Just wondering how you all are going with searching for ERR positions, as I am in the same situation and would like to know how you went with it all?
Aron
A.DUG
Tanktop Cleaner
Currently located: Ottawa

Post by A.DUG »

I have to agree with TheDieselduck here, many great lakes company are phasing out the Mechanical assistant and Oiler jobs in favor of hiring M.U.C (mobile utility crew member) at least i know this to be true for the Tanker fleet. Most of the UMS vessels actually phased out the need for even 4th engineers (then they fall short handed and can barely keep up with their maintenance let alone if an unexpected breakdown occurs but this is another story)

The second engineer i worked with on my last ship was from the Vancouver area and worked on the great lakes so if they are short handed on officers they (the east coast based shipping companies) will consider the west coast based officers since (by our comparison) flying a crew member from Vancouver is about the same price and sometimes cheaper then flying guys in from Newfoundland.

I would suggest to maybe have a look at deep sea companies and definatly try your luck with the SIU to see what they have to offer. Or maybe trying your luck on small cruise vessels as an SVMO (small vessel motor operator)

Edit**: woahh this is an old topic, take what i wrote as being an up to date take on your question aron.
Do it Once, Do it right.
aron
Tanktop Cleaner
Currently located: Rimouski

Post by aron »

Thanks a lot for your reply, it is greatly appreciated.

I have been in contact with the SIU, and they are currently processing my quals, resume etc in order for me to be accepted as a member and then can go from there.

I have taken your advice about the SMVO and have contacted the assessor at TC who I have been dealing with for the past 3 years for transferring my international quals across to Canada and have arranged an appointment for in the morning to get the ball rolling on trying to obtain that certificate aswell, which I believe can help in trying to get something.