3rd Class Engineering Examination Queries

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
NanaimoEngineer
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Nanaimo, B.C.

3rd Class Engineering Examination Queries

Post by NanaimoEngineer »

Hello all, i am a first time poster on the website, although i have used it as both a reference and study aid for my 4th class examination in the past. I have recently acquired the necessary sea-time to write my third class examinations, and i wanted to know if anyone could provide me with a little guidance. And by guidance i mean; has Transport Canada changed their examination process lately, has anyone completed their 3rd class examination recently and have some example questions, and probably the most dreaded aspect of preparing for the examinations being the vast scope of the examinations. I have heard from my Chief Engineer that 3rd class examinations have been focused on safety alot in the past, however it seemed to me that my 4th class exams were focussed alot on safety. If anyone has any helpful information i would be very appreciative. I count mysef lucky that i am only required to write my General, Motor and Oral exams as i was a graduate from a training institute.

I send well wishes out to anyone reading this who is also currently preparing for or undertaking examinations for any level of certificate, it is a grueling process is it not!
Dieseldame
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Nova Scotia / Caribbean

Transport Canada

Post by Dieseldame »

Bad news friend, I just wrote my ERR and found out that last July Transport Canada changed all the questions last July...I was told it was the same story for the 4th class but didn't discuss other levels...good luck to you, if the question are anything like the ERR perhaps a course in clairvoyance might be in order. That being said, I would appreciate any questions you have for the 4ths...

DD
Sébastien
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Québec

Post by Sébastien »

That being said, remember that engineering is engineering. If you can answer the questions from last year, you can easily answer the questions for this year. Do not let the change in format or wording of the questions intimidate you, simply prepare yourself adequately and make sure you remember to check TP 2293E for the updated syllabus from Transport Canada. Good luck.
NanaimoEngineer
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Nanaimo, B.C.

Post by NanaimoEngineer »

Dieseldame, i thught i had heard elsewhere that the exaination questions had been overhauled recently, i will bear that in mind. Unfortuantely i do not have any sample questions for your 4th class hndy as i am on ship currently, but it is multiple choice format for youur General ad Motor exams.

Sebastian, that is good advice and i will be sue to check TP2293 E.
TxMarEng
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Albuquerque New Mexico

Exam Questions

Post by TxMarEng »

Seems like Transport Canada is trying to stop the practice that has gone on for years in the US. Memorizing test questions/answers and prepping through schools that teach questions and answers not actual engineering knowledge.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Probably more to get clear of "How to feather the paddles of a sternwheeler" ( actual question a friend had) or "Describe the survey of a Triple Expansion engine" (Mine) and modernize to diesel engines :lol:
Dieseldame
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Nova Scotia / Caribbean

Post by Dieseldame »

Truer words have not been spoken TX.....

DD