Marine Engineering Tutorials- New!

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
crecord
Bilge Dweller

Marine Engineering Tutorials- New!

Post by crecord »

Georgian College will be offering Marine Engineering Tutorials starting in 2011. The subjects offered are: Math Refresher for Marine Engineers; Applied Mechanics; Thermodynamics; Electrotechnology and Naval Architecture. Tutorials are designed for 4th and 3rd class engineers studying to write their 2nd and 1st class engineering exams. Tutorials will be instructed by Chief Engineer Dan Blackwell. Check out our web site at www.marinetraining.ca/glimtc Check under the Courses/Programs tab, and then under Marine Tutorials.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: Marine Engineering Tutorials- New!

Post by The Dieselduck »

I was just wondering if these courses would culminate in a Transport Canada exam on site, or what is the procedure, following the schooling part. Would you happen to know as well, what the validity of the exam once passed, is for? Is it still 5 years?
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
crecord
Bilge Dweller

Post by crecord »

Candidates would be required to write the final exam at a TC office.
crecord
Bilge Dweller

Post by crecord »

Once passed, a theoretical subject such as Math, Drawing, Applied Mechanics , Thermodynamics, Naval Architecture is good for life
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

All theory exams, the old Part A, as listed by crecord are, indeed, good for life. Engineering Knowledge, General, Motor and Steam are valid for 5 years, but once the appropriate Certificate is gained, they are valid for life.....maybe.

If your CoC has expired and you have no approved sea service in the preceding 5 years, you may have to write one of these EKs again, or take an Oral in lieu of Qualifying Service. You'll have to do a MED refresher and retake the PPS at the appropriate level, too, in that case. Renewal of Engineering Certificates of Competency is covered in the Marine Personnel Regulations, section 107, which you can see here:

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/SOR-2007- ... 1-gb:s_104

You need 12 months' sea service in the last 5 years or 3 months in the last 12 months. There are provisions for Superintendants, Examiners, Surveyors etc. and it's all covered in MPR 107 (3)
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
RMD
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Vancouver

Post by RMD »

I'm surprised no one has actually asked a more important question (at least to me), how much are these tutorials and what makes them so special that I can't go to any other marine training collage to do them?
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

The prices are advertised on their website. The link is above.

Yes it is like going to your local school, if of course they offer it. I don't think its much different than other schools, I believe the point was announcing that they had this new options available now.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

The "distance learning" concept is nothing new, I started my 2nd Class Applied Mechanics in '72 with a "Correspondence Course" from Warsash. I was sent tutorials, with a test at the end, I did it, sent it to Warsash and was sent the next one, with instructor comments on the last one. Handy when you were trading world wide and you could only sign off on the UK coast. If the ship never came to UK, you were stuck literally for years sometimes! I was lucky, I never exceeded 7 months. In '73 it all changed, and you could sign off anywhere in the world.

The courses most colleges offer have fixed dates, as far as I know, block "distance learning" gets over that. Memorial in St Johns has been doing it for years, I think. Port Hawkesbury offer "subject blocks" where you go do, for example, Applied Mechanics, then trot along the road to the TC Exam Centre to write the Exam. Worked for me!
jimmys
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Glasgow Scotland

Post by jimmys »

I was not aware that prior to 1986, there was any engineer training at Warsash. When I was around there in the seventies and early eighties it was only nauticals. They amalgamated with Southampton Tech. in 1986 and became an all round Institution. I did various tanker safety, management and other courses there between 1969 and 1984, Full of deck cadets at the main Warsash Campus.
Probably a nautical did the mechanics correspondence courses.

regards
jimmy
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

I struggled along with 2APM while on the Clan MacPorridge on the Cape/East Africa run, (hard to concetrate when you have 10 days in Cape Town, 8 in Durban, 7 in Lorequo Marques......etc...) gave up in the end and went to do Part A in Dundee in '73. Exams in Lieth and nobody was more surprised than I was when I passed all 4! Didn't do the Part B until 1984, and that was in Victoria, I was Canajin by then :) too lazy I suppose, to spend time on Part B when I was in UK. There was no incentive, I was working as 2/E and sometimes C/E anyway. As it turned out, I'd have to do it all again when I came to Canada in 1980. Part A was accepted and I was Exempted, EKs never are, at any level.
Matthias
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by Matthias »

It looks like the Georgian classes are 3 weeks long while PMTC on the west coast is offering similar courses that are two or three times as long. I'm not sure what the differences are between the two colleges, but PMTC's 6-9 weeks is a lot of time to commit to for each of the exams. Has anyone found a distance learning option in Canada? I've started to work my way through the 1st class applied mechanics questions but I am finding that about 1 out 4 questions is stumping me.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

Matthias, check with Dan Blackwell at Georgian.
jimmys
Officer of the Watch

Post by jimmys »

Hi Matthias,

Applied Mechanics is not the easiest subject to teach without face to face lectures and assisted tutorials.You are in the region of normal if you are answering 3 out of 4 questions without assistance in tutorials.
I was the Moderator of Glasgow Nautical College and a number of remedial classes are often required at this level in this subject and mathematics. It is indeed alarming to me how many of these students suffer memory relapses when asked about remedial classes "I was not in them, I sailed through the course". We all needed tutors at some time.

regards
jimmy
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

I agree completely Jimmy, tutors are essential. I have found though, that math tutors slide easily into the realm of Applied Mechanics, Thermo, Leckytech etc, these subjects are all about maths. The statement elsewhere in this forum that you can get 3M without algebra is just too ridiculous for words. Might be OK for a WAFI, but not for a pro looking for STCW qualifications.

btw, on a different, but related subject, does UK insist on Propulsion Plant Simulator training in order to be issued a STCW ticket? If so, is it based on the IMO Model Course 2-07?
jimmys
Officer of the Watch

Post by jimmys »

Glasgow Nautical College has a Motorship Machinery Space Simulator. Its MCA approved and conforms to STCW 95. Its used at Engineer Officer of the Watch level and Class 2 Motorship training. The training is required.
I have no model details of this equipment. I have seen it that is all.
There is a bridge , oil tanker, gas tanker and chemical tanker simulator as well.
A lot of money has been spent there and finance is available to build the numbers of cadets. Clyde Marine Recruitment and others are actively recruiting cadets.
I think the target number is 400 at Glasgow but they are not there yet. All to be HND trained to the latest standards. A route exists for further study to Strathclyde University at year three in the four year Honours degree course.
GovUK have discovered if you train an engineer he gets a job. Train others for Social Security.
I used to be in the college regularly but I have retired now.

regards
jimmy