steering gear question for seconds.

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
Jason
Tanktop Cleaner

steering gear question for seconds.

Post by Jason »

Just a couple questions I have about steering gears, I have a really good drawing of a steering gear a one with a control unit and control block but it didn't have a hunting gear or a control lever to change the flow of the pump. Should the system have it or how else would the direction of flow change.

Thank you for any help that can be given.
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Re: steering gear question for seconds.

Post by D Winsor »

Jason
Some High pressure steering systems, such as Wagner, with electrically controlled directional control valves utilizes the rudder position feed back signal to the steering control system to act as a hunting gear to bring the rudder back to a set position.
Mechanical Hunting gears are usually found on steering systems with variable delivery type pumps linked to the telemotor system such as a Hastie Steering Gear.
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Re: steering gear question for seconds.

Post by Big Pete »

See my reply to your previous post:-

"Older electro hydraulic steering gears tended to use Helie Shaw / tilting swashplate pumps. These pumps could vary the the output of the pump from 100% in one direction, through zero to 100% in the other direction.
More modern pumps deliver a fixed flow of oil to a solenoid valve. With power off the solenoid valve the oil recirculates through the pump. When either the Port or Starboard solenoid coils are energised oil is delivered from the valve, moving the steering gear in that direction until the signal from a feedback potentiometer on the rudder equals the value of the desired value signal for rudder angle. The solenoid is then de-energised the spool of the solenoid valve is spring loaded back to the neutral position and the steering gear is hydraulically locked in position, untill either the rudder moves or the desired value changes.
Feedback for the control system is entirely electrical now adays, no more hunting gear or mechanical links, no more hydraulic servos, only electrical cable from the hand steering and autopilot to the solenoid valves and feedback potentiometers.

BP."

The valve block is usually mounted directly on top of the hydraulic pump, it usually consists of a spool valve with a solenoid at each end. The solenoids have push buttons or similar manual operating arrangements for emergency local control.

In normal operation the autopilot or Bridge manual steering wheel will send an electrical signal to the rudder control, indicating a "desired Value" for the rudder angle, the Potentiometer on the rudder gives a feed back of the actual or "Measured Value" of rudder angle. The control unit compares the 2 signals and energises the correct solenoid until the feed back signal matches the Desired Value signal. The solenoids are then de-energised, and the rudder remains hydraulically locked in that position. (It can only move if the Hydraulic safety valves lift, or there is air in the hydraulic system, (making it compressible).
I hope this clears matters up for you.

BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.