4th class orals

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
Jon
Deck Plate Wanderer

4th class orals

Post by Jon »

I'm heading in for my 4th class orals fairly soon. Does anyone know some common questions I may be asked?
I've heard I'll be asked to draw a diagram of blowing a boiler sight-glass.
Anything else you can guarantee I'll be asked?
Jon
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: 4th class orals

Post by The Dieselduck »

I use to have these on the exam area, but I understand these questions are not valid anymore, so I removed those files.

So to answer your question, I don't believe there is any guarantee fail questions. I am not fully up on the syllabus, but I am sure you can look there for further insight. http://www.dieselduck.ca/training/TP229 ... farers.pdf
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Jon
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by Jon »

Thanks Dieselduck.
I appreciate your help.
Jon
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

No Jon, there are no "Mandatory" questions since 1st July 2007, when the Canada Shipping Act 2001 and it's associated regulations came into force. Unfortunately, some Examiners haven't got the message and administer this "gauge glass" question before the Oral. If you fail soley on that question, ask for a Review, you are entitled to that.

From TP 2293, Examination of Seafarers: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp ... -77.htm#13

2.13 Request for review

Within five days of receiving the results of an examination, applicants may request a review by the examiner who marked it and a meeting with the examiner. For this purpose the applicant fills out the Request for Review form provided with the examination paper.

2.14 Appeals

If, after meeting with the examiner, the applicant is still not satisfied, a formal written appeal may be submitted to the Director, Marine Personnel Standards and Pilotage, Ottawa. The examination will then be marked independently by two reviewing examiners at Headquarters, neither of whom is the original examiner. An average of the two marks will be taken, and the Director will inform the applicant in writing of the result.

You can find the complete requirements for the 4th Class Examinations in section 29 of the TP. It does not mention a "mandatory pass" question. The requirements for 4th Class Motor and Steam are in section 147 of the Marine Personnel Regulations:

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/SOR-2007- ... 1-gb:s_144

There are no "mandatory pass" questions there, either, and no provision for a "God Complex" in either.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Jon
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by Jon »

Thanks guys, I just passed.
Stoked and ready for work.
jon
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Well done Jon, now you can start to learn! :)

Your next Exam should be Applied Mechanics at second Class level. Pass that, you'll be exempted Mechanics and Maths at 3rd Class. In fact, a pass in any of the 2nd class academic exams , Mechanics, Thermo, Electrotech or Naval Arch. exempts 3rd class math and the equivilant 3rd's Exam. (there's no Naval Arch. in 3rds.)
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Congrats Jon. The next 25 years will be learning, taking training and courses and writing exams. Well worth it though.