Counterfeit Crosby Shackles

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Counterfeit Crosby Shackles

Post by JK »

From a Schlumberger Notification:

Counterfeit Crosby Shackles have been found at locations in Europe. These shackles are NOT up to required standards and
it is mandatory that they be immediately removed from service. The counterfeit shackles can fail at as low as just 40% of
their stated rating, causing a potentially catastrophic outcome. The most obvious difference is that the counterfeit shackle
has the word “CROSBY” all in capital (Upper Case) lettering. The genuine shackle only has the “C” of “Crosby” capitalized.

The points to look for in deciding whether you have a Crosby Shackle or a copy are:
· On the face, (a) the Crosby Name should be embossed as per the Crosby Logo, (b) The CE mark should
appear along with (c) markings of the 45 degree angles
· On the rear of the shackle should appear 2 different groupings of IDs (3 for Belgium manufacture)
providing full traceability of the shackle.
· The pin should also be stamped (d) on the head with a traceable ID number.
Dieseldame
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Nova Scotia / Caribbean

Schlumberger

Post by Dieseldame »

Hey JK...what's a Schlumberger notification? Went to their site but didn't see where you got this info.

DD
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

I got it from TC. I may still have the original notice at work.
Dieseldame
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Nova Scotia / Caribbean

Post by Dieseldame »

No worries, I was just wondering if there was a safety listserve somewhere that I should be paying attention to.

DD