wartsila 32 hfo leaks

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
Jack3
First Time Poster

wartsila 32 hfo leaks

Post by Jack3 »

Hi can any one help with this one?

Currently serving on vessel with wartsila 8L32 that continualy leak HFO 380 from the supply and return rail between fuel pumps. The engines are very rarely run on MDO and despite our efforts of changing all the Orings and Sleeves with genuine parts in no time (latest 2 months after) they are leaking again.

has anyone experienced this and found a solution?

regards
jack
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: wartsila 32 hfo leaks

Post by The Dieselduck »

The first and only time I've heard of this was, on a 46, was internally attributed to bad fuel, even though the reports all came back good. On top of that, I wasn't involved much in the repairs, but I believe we had changed out all the orings as well, before getting on top of it. Sorry cant offer much better input.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Post by D Winsor »

Sounds like part of the problem may be the result of the thermal expansion or contraction of the pumps causing some fasteners to loosen.
After replacing the seals I would check the torque on the fuel line flange bolts along with the other connections after the pumps come up to temperature on heavy fuel
You should also check the fuel pump holding down bolts for proper tightness, check the fuel pressure regulator and the pressure and temperature indicators to insure that the boost pressure is not too high or too hot and check the sealing surfaces for cracks or corrosion on the pumps flanges and sleeves. Water and sulfur in the fuel can cause many problems on sealing surfaces
Last edited by D Winsor on Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

are the o-rings new stock, are they the correct ones and finally is Wartsila having o-ring issues? They could be having manufacturer issues that you are not aware of.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

On that note, careful inspection of the packaging and history of the purchase, might reveal a counterfeit oring. Would not be an isolated case. As for wartsila admitting a manufacturing defect, good luck with that, ehehehe.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

ain't that the sad truth.
You only hear about engine part issues through others in the industry having problems.
Drylander
Bilge Dweller

Post by Drylander »

D Winsor comments on thermal expansion.
I only know something of this from fuel oil heater control.
It was my understanding that leaks were a possibility during shut down when changing between HFO and MDO because, at their very different temperatures, differential expansion would see flanges cool before the bolts (which is why the engine manufacturer would not insulate the flanges on the viscometer). If temperature or temperature control is a possible problem, the question to ask is if the fuel temperature is where it is expected to be? If it is too high, is this because there is a problem with the viscometer? (not sure which viscometer Wartsila use today).
PS Fuel temperature/viscosity and density/temperature spreadsheets are available at http://www.viscoanalyser.com/page8.html which might be useful.
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Post by D Winsor »

In most heavy fuel systems the viscosity controller is usually close to the fuel heater and the mixing tower which could be some distance away from the engine. The controller senses the viscosity of the fuel coming from the tower before it is discharged to the heater and on to the engine. It is done this way because the fuel returned from the engine is connected to the mixing tower where it is mixed with the fuel coming from the heavy oil Day Storage tank.
The system works fine when the engine is running at a constant load but if the load changes there is a possibility to have a plug of hot or cold fuel pass through the system. IF380 fuel is in most cases heated by steam or thermal oil with a pneumatic or motorized valve controlling the flow of steam or heating oil to the heater and at any given time there can be up to 1 tonne or more fuel circulating through the system. The Viscotherm usually has a range of dead band programed into the output to the control valve to prevent thermal shock to the heater which creates a time lag between the viscotherm sensing a change in viscosity and the system stabilizes again.
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
Mikkelsborg
Leak Patrol
Currently located: Copenhagen, Denmark

Post by Mikkelsborg »

Please advise on following - Can you possible advice version of actual engine WARTSILA 8L32....... and what type of injection pump do your use L'orange ................ ? That information is required in order to reply with recommendation...

Thanks in advance :-)
Mikkel Elsborg
PJ Diesel Engineering A/S
Linkedin: https://dk.linkedin.com/in/mikkelelsborg