Charge air coolers

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
DoGGa
Bilge Dweller

Charge air coolers

Post by DoGGa »

Hi, was wondering is somebody could give me a typical charge air cooler presure differential (across inlet and outlet) on a medium speed four-stroke at full load? its an 11.5kW engine and the turbocharger is an ABB TPL -A, not sure about the cooler itself....many thanks
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

some input

Post by The Dieselduck »

Hello DoGGa, welcome to the forum

On a Wartsila 12V46 putting out about 10MW, the charge air press after cooler, was 2.71 bars and the temperature was 55 celsius. The "normal drop across the cooler was 15 - 30 mBar.

Here is some other info I found. "Max. Δp over the filter 15 mbar. 5 mbar elevation in differential pressure over the charge air filter causes approximately ~2 g/kWh increase for SFOC.

The engine tends to suffocate due to lack of scavenging air. Delayed combustion. Increased thermal load, worse fuel economy,.

Can be avoided by follow-up and adequate cleaning. Cleaning interval according to manual is 1000 h

The coolers are equipped with pressure drop indicator
Normal 15...30 mbar
at level 60 mbar clean the cooler
at level 80 mbar severe problems
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
DoGGa
Bilge Dweller

Post by DoGGa »

thanks very much Martin, thats a great help. its been a while since i was onboard so had trouble remembering the some figures - i was on Sulza 16ZAV40S engines. i had a post-cooler pressure of around 1 bar above atmospheric pressure in my head so that ties in nicely!
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Glad I could help

Post by The Dieselduck »

Well, there you go, the ZA40 is pretty much equivalent to the 12v16 I based my recollections on.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net