chief engineer dilemma

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
adreno1981
Tanktop Cleaner

chief engineer dilemma

Post by adreno1981 »

hi everyone,
can anyone please answer this question , as it's being asked by a surveyor at mmd for meo class 1.
what will be your action as chief engineer , if master asks you to stop the vessel in mid sea?...this is the exact question.what should be a person's answer as a chief engineer?
thanks
adios
adreno
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Re: chief engineer dilemma

Post by JollyJack »

His answer should be that he would stop the engine as directed. Simple logic says the boat driver on the bridge can see what's around and knows what is happening. The Engineer in the control room can't, so if the order to stop engines is received, the engine had better bloody well stop!

Incidentally, who or what is mmd?
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

and all actions are logged in the official ER logbook
adreno1981
Tanktop Cleaner

Post by adreno1981 »

mmd is "Mercantile Marine Department"
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Which country adreno? Is it signatory to STCW? Google lists two "Mercantile Marine Departments", in India and Pakistan. India has ratified STCW but Pakistan has not. I cannot find anything in Table AIII/2 in STCW with regard to your initial question. My copy has all amendments up to 2006. (Manila Protocol isn't in there yet) Seems to me the Examiner who tries to impress the candidate with his knowledge has a bit of a "God complex".
Discourage incest, ban country "music".