Another Scam - www.cruisejob1.com

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Another Scam - www.cruisejob1.com

Post by The Dieselduck »

Here's a reply I just wrote to a Engineering Cadet in Africa, after he sent me an email for advice, might be of interest to others.

Martin

--------------------

Hello XXX,

Unfortunately, you are a big target of scams, as you are not well experienced in these matters. It’s not your fault, it’s just some people are assholes. Many people get caught by these scammers, and they are not just from Africa or new professional either.

This http://www.cruisejob1.com is just a scam, there will be no hope of a job after you pay them the 50 bucks. The website has numerous inconsistencies, such as third party advertising, links to questionable and unrelated website. The address, which I imagine is supposed to give you some comfort, is actually a rented apartment. If they were really Canadian, bona fide operation, they would also be required to pay sales tax.

But the most telling thing that this is a scam… it’s asking you for money. No real recruiter will ask you for money for a job. It’s against the law, international and in many local jurisdictions – definitely in Canada its illegal - to charge someone for finding work for them.

Under my “Work” page of the main site you will more information… also links to companies and recruiters.

Martin

Sent: February-01-12 2:59 AM
To: Martin Leduc

Hello Mr. Martin how is everything, and i hope the family is also good. Please sir i will be very much grateful if you can do a research on this shipping recruiting agency if they are real because i want to register with them or an opportunity to have my Engine Cadet training done. this is the mail i received from them but u can let them understand that i will be completing this coming April, 2012..

Please read through the mail i received from them and find out some details from them if they are genuine. I know and believe you want the best for me...

Hello XXX,

Thank you for your E-mail.

In case you would like us to start working on your cruise ship job search, fill in our ONLINE
APPLICATION FORM with the specific job position (Engine cadet) you would like to apply for:
http://www.cruisejob1.com/register.html

Cruise lines do not specify nationalities they hire for, so positions are open for all
nationalities.

It is very important that you select position(s) that is most suited to your educational or/and
professional background.

Please, paste your resume into the box provided at the bottom of the form.

Please note, that we are charging a small, one time only registration and processing fee of $48.95 U.S.
for each applicant. Once we receive the payment, your application and resume will be pre-screened and
forwarded to relevant cruise industry employers worldwide.

We will create a Personal Employment Profile for you in our extensive data base for cruise ship employment
candidates and cruise lines, looking for new personnel will be able to see your application there, as well.

You will receive an user name and a password, which you can use to log into our online data base, review
and update your employment profile should that become necessary and you also will be able to upload a
personal photo to your profile (please, allow up to 12 hours after submitting your application and
registration fee for receiving your log in information).

We will also be able to download to your computer our Cruise Ship Employment Guide with extensive up-to-date
list of cruise industry employers contacts, categorized by type, cruise lines, concessions and positions
they hire for. This way you will be able to follow up on employers we have forwarded your application/resume
to and also will have the option to submit personally your resume. You will be able to download the guide once
you log into your Personal Employment Profile.

In case an employer is interested in your application, he/she will either contact you directly or contact us
and we will forward the information to you immediately.

In some rare cases when the candidate can not use the regular payment methods, we would accept Western Union
payments ($48.95 US).

Please, address the payment to:

Mr. Svilen Peev
2512 Gravelle Cres.
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1B 3A3
tel. 613 830 38 44

Please, send us the payment number, your full name, address and telephone number exactly as you have marked
them on the Western Union payment form, we will be asked to provide that information.

Before making any payment, please make sure that you have filled in our online application form:

Once we receive your registration fee payment, we will match the data from the payment (your name and email
address) with your application, start processing the application, activate it in our database and email you
your log in info (user name and password). This way you will be able to log into our database at any time and
update your application online in case there are any changes of your address and/or phone numbers. You will be
able to update your resume, should that become necessary.

We will also be able to download to your computer our Cruise Ship Employment Guide with extensive up-to-date
list of cruise industry employers contacts, categorized by type, cruise lines, concessions and positions they
hire for. This way you will be able to follow up on employers we have forwarded your application/resume to and
also will have the option to submit personally your resume. You will be able to download the guide once you log
into your Personal Employment Profile.

In case an employer is interested in your application, he/she will either contact you directly or contact us
and we will forward the information to you immediately.

Please, allow up to 12 hours after we have received the payment for processing the application and receiving
your log in information.

Before making any payment, please make sure that you have filled in our online application form:

Best regards,

The Cruise Team
Cruise Ship Jobs Online
http://www.cruisejob1.com
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Wyatt
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Victoria

Re: Another Scam - www.cruisejob1.com

Post by Wyatt »

The name and address as well as the phone number are in the phone book. Has anyone called this guy?
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

From his web page:

"By registering with Cruise Ship Jobs Online© employment agency you receive two great services at the same time.

- your application will be forwarded directly to maximum number (depending on the position/s you apply for) of personnel managers and human resources departments of cruise lines and concessionaires and we will keep you updated about the progress of your job search.

- your application data also becomes an electronic career profile which is listed in the extensive data base of Cruise Ship Jobs Online© employment agency. This data base is marketed to the cruise industry. Your electronic career profile is available at any time to cruise lines and concessionaires looking for new personnel.You can also login to the Cruise Ship Jobs Online© website and change/update your profile in real time online.

- you will be able to download The Cruise Ship Jobs Guide from your electronic career profile. The most valuable information that you will find in The Cruise Ship Jobs Guide is a full, completely up-to-date list of all employment contacts in the cruise industry – the various human resources departments of cruise lines with contacts for each type of position (not just a general HR address or email address), concessionaires, official hiring partners of cruise lines in various countries, recruiting agents worldwide and entertainment agencies, hiring talent for cruise ships. You will find postal addresses, names of HR managers, email addresses, online application forms, original applications of cruise lines and concessions."

My bold print. This guy is not recruiting for cruise lines, he is providing information on people who MAY be recruiting. All he offers is a list of cruise lines you can get from Google, to send your resume to them and to store the resume in his database. It's really quite clever, he's not recruiting, so he's not charging for recruiting services. He's not a "seafarer recruitment and placement service" mentioned in section 304(1) of the Marine Personnel Regulations (required to hold a License issued by the Minister) or a "person to provide crew members" in Section 98 of the Canada Shipping Act 2001. He's charging to provide a list of possible employers, that's all, so he's not contravening section 307 of the Marine Personnel Regulations vis:

307. No person shall impose, directly or indirectly, fees or other charges on any person for recruiting, placing or providing employment to them on board a vessel, other than the cost of obtaining a medical certificate, the person’s record of sea service or a passport or any other similar personal travel document other than a visa.

Clever, eh? But not illegal.

Caveat Emptor
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Just a footnote, right at the end of the Marine Personnel Regulations, I found this:

*403. (1) These Regulations, except sections 304 to 307 and 333 to 338, come into force on the day on which section 2 of the Canada Shipping Act, 2001, chapter 26 of the Statutes of Canada, 2001, comes into force.

(2) Sections 304 to 307 and 333 to 338 come into force on the later of

(a) the day on which the Maritime Labour Convention, 2006 comes into force in Canada, and

(b) the day on which section 2 of the Canada Shipping Act, 2001, chapter 26 of the Statutes of Canada, 2001, comes into force.

Sections 304 to 307, dealing with seafarer recruitment agencies, and 333 to 338, dealing with Maritime Labour Convention Certificates, come into force when the Maritime Labour Convention does. That convention needs 30 IMO Member states to ratify it, but only 25 (including Canada) have. Interestingly, UK, India, Phillipines, China and USA have not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maritime_Labour_Convention

The Convention sets minimum standards for seafarers, so I doubt very much you'll see it in force any time soon. Seafarers are still disposable. "Fit for pigs and Merchant seamen", as the Chandler's food boxes used to read.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Cunard River Cruises through LinkedIn

Post by The Dieselduck »

Ship crewing staffing scam on group, and also by PM

Just got a mail from Cunard River Cruise - obviously a fake entity. Related email is [email protected] and also found [email protected] from the website http://www.jobsempire.com/display_job/5 ... 671&page=1

These guys are losers.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net