More mariners needed

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

More mariners needed

Post by JK »

The Telegram

The Marine Institute kicked off its annual job fair today with a call for more students to train as ships officers and engineers.
The province’s marine transportation industry also joined that call.
Marine transportation companies say they’re already recruiting people right across the country because there aren’t enough qualified people in Newfoundland and Labrador to fill available jobs.
That shortage is predicted to get worse.
A growing worldwide shortage of mariners is expected to peak in 2015 when the industry will need about 27,000 new officers to replace those retiring.
The Marine Institute also announced it will double the number of students it trains in ships officer programs annually.

07/02/08
http://www.thetelegram.com
TxMarEng
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Albuquerque New Mexico

SHELL LNG FLEET

Post by TxMarEng »

Seems Shell has just made a deal to employ US Officers in their LNG FLeet.
conrod
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Nanoose Bay BC, Canada

Jobs

Post by conrod »

Well having just looked down the new list of " bodies required " I think it is fare to say that the need for skilled, and experienced engineers arrived a while ago. If any of you are members of the UK " union " that used to be called the MNAOA, and then NUMAST and now NAUTILUS uk, and read the Telegraph each month, have been hearing the cry from the UK for the last 15 years at least.

What makes me laugh, is that the jokers that are doing the searching can not understand why many people just dont want to go to sea ! I wonder why ? Well this topic could go on all night, and I have said my bit before in various publications, but here closer to home, one of the major stumbling blocks, is that you actually get penalised for working on a ship. So maybe now, the employer might jump on the band wagon, and give us poor chaps some financial insentive to want to work 18 hours a day, and spend 8 months of the year away from our family..............unlikely though, they will just get breaks from TC to employ 3rd World Nationals !!
TxMarEng
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Albuquerque New Mexico

Better Times

Post by TxMarEng »

My first berth was 3rd on a T-1 in the far east. I had to sign for a year and then had 6 weeks off. My last tour deep sea was 60/60 on a lightering tanker which was non stop action. Now I sit at the desk. Jobs abound here in the states but the new schoolship grads want Chiefs wages right out of school. Homeland Security makes it virtually impossible to "import" someone for a position. :(
carbob
Leak Patrol
Currently located: St. John's, NL

Experienced seafaring personnel.

Post by carbob »

I work on a crude tanker at present, and this company is finding it hard to recruit trained and experienced personnel. But by the same token, it seems that they are trying everything in their power to make you quit! I used to think bulls@#$ could only be piled so high, but there seems to be no end to it. You do your workday, sometimes filled in with 6-hour watches, bunkering, stores, st-by, and then you're supposed to find time to complete CBT courses and read a dozen or so ISM manuals. How much time do they think is in a day????
lovevmc
Bilge Dweller

Post by lovevmc »

My company is COSCO (China Ocean Shipping Corperation). I signed the contract for 10 years , during the 10 year , When I am not on borad , I can not work for other company ,beacause COSCO keep all of my certificates .
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

They keep your certificates?
Do they keep them updated for you as well?
I don't know if I would be too fussy about that. Company goes TU and your certificates are in some kind of legal limbo.
conrod
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Nanoose Bay BC, Canada

Tickets

Post by conrod »

I think there may be some legal ramifications there. I must admit to not having read all the small print, but I am sure that in the UK, our tickets actually " belong " to the MCA. IN which case, an individual Company has no right to retain your certs once you leave the ship.

I dont think I would be very happy leaving mine behind for anybody !! Its almost as precious as the family jewels.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Well you certainly work harder for it :lol:
2filthy3
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Tasmania

Post by 2filthy3 »

wow, i've signed with my company for only 2 years, from the point that i get my ticket.
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Post by D Winsor »

There has also been a call to increase the number of new students at the Coast Guard College. Someone in Ottawa finally woke up and realized that within 10 years a majority of the ship's crew will be retired and there will be no one around to operate the ships!
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

The problem with the CG College is they are competing for the same limited number of people as the RCMP and DND.

And given the absolutely crappy media coverage of CG, who would want to make a career there?
CG Management just sits there and sucks it up with absolutely no positive PR. They should be hiring the spin doctors that BCFC has, to get some lessons in how it is done.