Official looking slaves wanted to tell CE and CO what to do

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Official looking slaves wanted to tell CE and CO what to do

Post by The Dieselduck »

I had a pretty good double take when I first saw this ad on LinkedIn, for a Fleet Operator. The chuckle first came at the money offered - lets say nobody will be able to fit into the "high experience" bracket so we'll start 65k a year. Which is pretty good money compared to a manager at McDonalds, who probably makes about 45,000k a year, but really not that good considering the "responsibility". Which are the ones that gave me a chuckle. "Elaborate Bunker plan", "provide master with timely and detailed instructions"... "adhere and enforce company environmental and security policies"...

...of course do this for a fleet of 8-10, LMFAO, Ahahahah,

And the best part, and I like this one, "Sea-going experience is not a requisite is considered an asset" are you frikin kinding me! And these are the clowns telling Captains and chief engineers what to do.

Basically, are you willing to work for a bully who knows it all, and needs a mouthpiece extension so the BS sounds good, and then you take the abuse - are you asshole enough? Sounds like a set up for failure.

Wow, no wonder our industry is in dire straits.

Fleet Operator

Salary: $65K-$85K DOE, Bonus and Benefits
Position: Permanent
Division: Commercial Shipping Jobs

Fleet Operator

Responsibilities: Operating a fleet of about 8-10 ships

Familiarization of Voyage and Time Charter contracts requirements pertaining to his/her voyages and manage post fixture matters
Proper voyage planning with the objective to optimize time saving and revenue, reduce costs, gather all required information.
Elaborate (optimal) bunkering plan
Provide timely and detailed instructions to the masters of his/her fleet
Appoint and instruct agents, surveyors, stevedores, weather routing company in a timely manner
Voyage management; i.e., monitor proactively all participants and initiate pre-emptive or corrective action whenever required
Preparation of freight billings, approve payment of hires and miscellaneous vendors invoices
Monitor the issuance and on-forwarding of all cargo documents
Adhere to and enforce the company’s operational security, environment policies
Work closely with our contract partners and maintain the company’s high service standards and reputation
Perform various clerical tasks, including post-voyage analysis (financial and statistical), maintaining Oracle voyage log, and electronic voyage filing

Requirements:

A minimum of three to five years’ experience in a similar role
Organized, fast worker, possessing the ability to multi-task and prioritize
Inquisitive and logical
Results driven and strong problem solver
Ability to control costs
Ability to build relationships and develop trust
Fluent in English (verbal and written)
Flexible to work outside of office hours
Sea-going experience is not a requisite is considered an asset
Capable of working with current computer applications
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Re: Official looking slaves wanted to tell CE and CO what to do

Post by JollyJack »

Don't tell me, it's in Halifax/Dartmouth, right?
Discourage incest, ban country "music".