2nd class Qualifying Time

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
46Tall
Tanktop Cleaner

2nd class Qualifying Time

Post by 46Tall »

I have a 4th class ticket and am planning to skip my 3rd class & challenge for my 2nd class. Can anyone help me with how much qualifying time Transport Canada requires in order to sit 2nd class exams. (How much is required to be in-charge of a watch) I have received a few different answers on this & am looking for something definitive, for example 24 months total - 12 required to be in-charge of a watch?

Also, once I receive the necessary time as in-charge of a watch, does the remaining time have to be as an engineer or would sea time as an ERA (Engine Room Assistant) count?
Sébastien
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Québec

Re: 2nd class Qualifying Time

Post by Sébastien »

Canada Shipping Act - Marine Personnel RegulationsSecond-class Engineer, Motor Ship or Steamship
145. (1) An applicant for a Second-class Engineer, Motor Ship or Steamship certificate who holds a Fourth-class Engineer certificate with STCW endorsement or a Third-class Engineer certificate for the same type of vessel to which the certificate sought relates shall meet the requirements set out in column 1 of the table to this subsection and the corresponding specifications set out in column 2.

TABLE

Column 1 Column 2
Item Requirements Specifications
1. Hold a certificate Fourth-class Engineer certificate with STCW endorsement.
2. Experience After acquiring the qualifying service required for a Third-class Engineer, Motor Ship or Steamship certificate, acquire at least 12 months of additional qualifying service as follows:
(a) at least 6 months of sea service as engineer in charge of the engineering watch or in charge of machinery on one or more of the following vessels that have a propulsive power of at least 750 kW:
(i) on board a motor vessel other than a stationary MOU, in the case of an applicant for a motor ship certificate, or
(ii) on board a steamship, in the case of an applicant for a steamship certificate;
(b) up to 3 months of qualifying service in respect of attendance at a program or course, other than an approved training course, at a maximum rate of one day of service for every three days of attendance, if
(i) the program or course substantially covers the subject-matter of at least one of the examinations referred to in item 4, and
(ii) the applicant provides a testimonial indicating that the applicant has successfully completed that program or course; and
(c) any remaining time in any combination of the following types of service on one or more of the following vessels that have a power of at least 750 kW:
(i) service as an engineer on board a steamship or motor vessel,
(ii) service as an engineer on board an MOU that does not have a propulsion system accrued at a rate of one-half the time served counting as qualifying service, and
(iii) up to 3 months of qualifying service in respect of time spent in laying up, fitting out or refitting a vessel at a rate of a maximum of one day of qualifying service for each calendar day of at least 8 hours of work.
3. Certificates to be provided to the examiner (a) MED with respect to STCW basic safety;
(b) MED training with respect to proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats other than fast rescue boats;
(c) MED in advanced fire fighting;
(d) MED for senior officers;
(e) marine advanced first aid; and
(f) ship management practices taught using a propulsive plant simulator.
4. Pass examinations (a) The following written examinations at the second-class engineer level, while holding a Fourth-class Engineer certificate:
(i) applied mechanics,
(ii) thermodynamics,
(iii) electrotechnology,
(iv) naval architecture, and
(v) technical drawing;
(b) after providing the certificate referred to in paragraph 3(f), an examination on ship management practices using a propulsive plant simulator;
(c) written examination on general engineering knowledge at the second-class level, after meeting the requirements of items 2 and 3 and paragraphs (a) and (b);
(d) one of the following written examinations at the second-class level, after meeting the requirements of paragraph (c):
(i) engineering knowledge of motor vessels, in the case of an applicant for a Second-class Engineer, Motor Ship certificate, or
(ii) engineering knowledge of steamships, in the case of an applicant for a Second-class Engineer, Steamship certificate; and
(e) oral examination on the knowledge set out in paragraphs (a) to (d) and a knowledge of the legislation relevant to the certificate sought, after passing the examination referred to in paragraph (d).
Sébastien
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Québec

Post by Sébastien »

In other words: yes. 24 months total, of which 12 must be at sea as EOOW
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Service as an Engine Room Rating (there is no ERA now, not since 1 July 2007, but ERA is considered ERR) counts for 3rd Class at the rate of one day in three. MPR 146(1) table item 2(c)(iv). It does not count at all for 2nd Class.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".