Ship Notice Boards

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Ship Notice Boards

Post by JK »

Anyone know if it is a requirement for them to be enclosed?
I know that some buildings I have worked in, they had to be enclosed as part of the fire rating, to prevent burning paper going down the hallway and spreading the fire further.
Is it the same on ships?

JollyJack!!
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Re: Ship Notice Boards

Post by JollyJack »

Fire and Boat Drills Regulations (SOR/2010-83)

3. (1) Subject to section 4, the master of a vessel shall ensure that, at all times, there is a muster list and, in the case of a vessel that is equipped with rescue boats, a rescue boat muster list.

Marginal note:Posting
(2) The master of the vessel shall ensure that the lists required under subsection (1)

(a) are drawn up in either or both official languages, according to the needs of the crew; and

(b) are conspicuously posted throughout the vessel, including the navigation bridge, the engine room and the crew accommodations.

Marginal note:Separate document
(3) The rescue boat muster list may be a document separate from the muster list or an addendum to it.

Marginal note:Exception
4. The master of a vessel who has a means of informing crew members of the essential actions to be taken during an emergency is not required to ensure that there is a muster list or a rescue boat muster list if the vessel

(a) has a crew of fewer than three members and carries passengers; or

(b) has a crew of fewer than five members and does not carry passengers

Nothing about enclosures, fire rated or otherwise here, it's a matter of CDF.

However, in the Hull Construction regulations, we find this:

Method I: the construction in the accommodation spaces and service spaces of a system of internal bulkheading consisting of “B” Class divisions, between main vertical zone bulkheads, together with an automatic fire alarm and fire detection system in these spaces;

Method II: the fitting of an automatic sprinkler, fire detection and fire alarm system in the accommodation spaces and service spaces, and no restriction on the type of internal divisional bulkheads between main vertical zone bulkheads;

Method III: the subdivision of the accommodation spaces and service spaces between main vertical zone bulkheads by “A” Class and “B” Class divisions, together with the fitting of an automatic fire alarm and fire detection system in all accommodation spaces and service spaces and a restriction of the provision of combustible material in these spaces.

Automatic Fire Alarm and Fire Detection Systems (Methods I and III)

56. (1) In every ship in which Method I of fire protection has been adopted,

(a) all linings, grounds, ceilings and insulation shall consist of incombustible material except in cargo spaces, mail rooms, bullion rooms, baggage rooms and refrigerated store rooms, provided that the linings, grounds and ceilings in ships carrying not more than 100 passengers may be constructed of combustible material having the same fire-resisting properties as the material of the bulkheads enclosing the spaces in which they are situated; and

(b) the total volume of combustible materials installed as facings, mouldings, decorations or veneers in any accommodation space or service space in a ship in which Method I of fire protection has been adopted, being a ship carrying more than 100 passengers, shall not exceed a volume equal to that of veneer of 2.5 mm on the combined area of the walls and ceiling of such space; any facings, mouldings, decorations or veneers installed in the corridors or stairway enclosures in such a ship shall consist of incombustible materials.

(2) In every ship in which Method III of fire protection has been adopted, the provision of combustible materials for linings, grounds, ceilings, fittings and furnishings in any space in the accommodation spaces or service spaces shall be restricted to the minimum compatible with the use for which that space is appropriated; in the public rooms in such a ship the grounds and supports for the linings and ceilings shall be constructed of steel or other material equally effective in resisting fire; all exposed surfaces and their coatings in the accommodation spaces of such a ship shall be surfaces of low flame spread.

As I see it, anything exposed has to be incombustible (Method I) or of low flame spread (Method III)

So the short answer is, that if the posted Muster list is neither incombustible or of low flame spread, then it would be a good idea to enclose it in a cabinet which is.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Thank you!!
Such a simple question, requiring a visit to 3 different section of the CSA. LOL.
No wonder we lowly tech support people beat our heads in frustration!
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

That's why you have subject experts :) ask and thou shalt receive.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Some TC Surveyors seems to be very adverse to providing this kind of communication.
Sad to say.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

All the relevant Acts and Regulations are at www.tc.gc.ca just follow the links to "marine" then "Acts and regulations", you'll see "Canada Shipping Act 2001", that takes you here:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/acts-regulation ... 001c26.htm

The text of the Act is at the top, all associated Regulations are linked below that. All freely available to the public anywhere in the world.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Yes and I access it frequently. But sometimes you do need a little interpretation.

yes I'm whining...I got this damm cold that seems to be hitting everyone and my head is exploding..
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

You hear that thumping noise? That's my heart pumping purple panther pee.....
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Wait til you get this stuff. Of course you probably scare off ordinary germs!