Training Record Book

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
nedyalkov
Bilge Dweller

Training Record Book

Post by nedyalkov »

Hi All,

I am in need for the answers of the questions at the end of the TRB. I am filling it all by myself and have to present it to TC soon, and i want to make sure i have all questions correctly answered.
Thank you in advance!
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: Training Record Book

Post by The Dieselduck »

I will assist where I can, I know we also have a good group that is willing to share here as well, so feel free to post away your questions.

We were all in your shoes at one time...
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

I assume you refer to Annex B on Maritime laws and regulations, and Annex C on stability and ship construction. The former will take you about 20 hours to research (that's how it's designed, get googling, all the required information is available on line. tip... http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/acts-regulation ... 001c26.htm )

The intro to this Annex says:
"Applicants who intend to complete this annex in lieu of the approved training need to be familiar with the Canada Shipping Act and the Air Pollution Regulations, the Pollutant Substances Regulations, the Pollutant Discharge Reporting Regulations and the Oil Pollution Prevention Regulations made pursuant to the Act, as well as with the MARPOL and SOLAS Conventions.

One should expect that with proper documentation in hand, approximately 20 hours will be required to complete this annex; upon completion, it must presented to a Marine Safety examiner for assessment."

Annex C will depend on how keen you are to crawl around bilges to find and sketch the components required. (and get hold of a book on basic Naval Architechture and stability, you'll need it for 2nd Class anyway.)

The intro to this annex says:

"Applicants who intend to complete this annex in lieu of the approved training need to have on hand good manuals on ship stability and naval architecture.

One should expect that with proper documentation in hand, approximately 40 hours will be required to complete this annex; upon completion, it must presented to a Marine Safety examiner for assessment."

The TRB is designed as your future resource, it's yours to keep once TCMS has sighted it, so any value you get out of it will depend entirely on what you put into it. It's designed to make you work for it. By all means ask for assistance aboard the ship in which you serve, you'll find that Marine Engineers are, generally speaking, more than willing to help someone who wants to learn. (There are exceptions, of course, I've met one or two in my time) However, asking someone all the answers to all the points in both of these Annexes totally defeats the purpose of the TRB. Don't be too surprised if the TC Examiner grills your ass on what you put in the book. If you have made an honest effort to do the research, you'll have no problem with TC and you'll have a valuable reference for the future. (I'm still using my Apprenticeship notes as reference) However, if you have copied without understanding, or written without comprehending, you will flounder and possibly founder when you hear "Do it again."

The TRB is here, if you need more copies:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp ... u-1618.htm
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

I agree with Jolly Jack 100%, you have to learn and understand all this stuff to be a good Engineer.
I have sailed with far too many Engineers, particularly Asian ones, that have learnt every possible Exam Question and answer off by heart then parrotted them out in the exam, some of them had British Chief or Second Engineer's certificates, but they couldn't do the job. They didn't understand what they had learnt and couldn't apply the theoretical knowledge in practical situations.
BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Got to agree, I am more then willing to help lead a cadet to an answer but not giving out answers as a shortcut.
nedyalkov
Bilge Dweller

Post by nedyalkov »

Thank you guys for your help. I am close to completing the book, there are just e few questions that i am having hard time with. However, i will do some more research on them and if i still dont have the answer i will post them. Thanks again!
nedyalkov
Bilge Dweller

Post by nedyalkov »

Hello All,

I have only two questions left that i don't have an answer to, they are both form 13.3 Ship stability section:

1. Describe the fitting of a watertight bulkhead valve. What arrangement is provided to control this valve from outside the compartment?

2. Explain how you would make a temporary repair to stop the water entering the engine room through a corroded spool between a sea water inlet valve and the ship's bottom.

I would really appreciate if someone can help me with these questions. Thank you in advance!

Nick
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Again, very basic questions. For the first, go take a look. For the second, the situation is this, it's January, you are between Boston and Come By Chance, it's blowing force 8, with 25 foot seas. The ship, a tanker, is loaded to the marks and seas wash green over the decks.

The vent pipe on the port sea bay has a shut-off valve on a flanged spool about 6" above the sea bay skin and this spool between sea bay and valve has corroded. A hole about the size of a dime is allowing a jet of freezing cold sea water to spray under the deck plates. If you don't fix it, the spool may collapse allowing an uncontrollable flood of sea water from the sea bay to the engine room.

Fix it.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".