MAPX 204 separator

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
jmm2020
Bilge Dweller

MAPX 204 separator

Post by jmm2020 »

I recently got my paws on a separator for my land based biodiesel plant and man it has me stymied...I believe I have the theory of it from some great posts on here but I can't seem to get the thing going...I believe I am messed up on the order of things...I have it up and running at 144 revs...and according to the manual I am to open the control valve to close the bowl...I have tried it with the outflow valve open and water freely flows through and I have closed the outflow valve and the centrifuge makes some odd noises and water flows from the discharge tube above the sludge outflow...I then create a water seal...or attempt to as near as I can tell and then slowly fire up the infeed pump...its on a vfd so it comes on slow and I have gotten it preset to 2GPM...now it slowly starts to exhale alot from the sludge outlet but I get no flow from either of the phase discharge hose...the light phase is actually pulling vacuum...I figured as this monster came off a ship the best place to figure out my array of blunders would be with the gents that use these things...its an incredibly impressive bit of engineering thats for sure...I believe I have the Grav disc close as well...should be pretty easy as biodiesel and glycerin are pretty far apart in density...
I attached a pic of the setup I currently have while trying to work the kinks out...hope someone can steer me in the right direction...Thanks
Attachments
mapx204.JPG
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Re: MAPX 204 separator

Post by D Winsor »

I would first check your piping to insure all the pipes are fitted correctly. From the picture there seems to be some errors there and it looks like the feed pump mounted on the front end of the purifier isn't even connected.
It also looks like that you are using a common pressurized water supply for your bowel sealing water and feed water. These feeds should be separate and at the proper pressure. If the pressure is too high or too low the purifier will not function properly.
It also looks like light phase discharge pipe just dumps to a tank just below the purifier. If that is the case there will be no back pressure on the top parring disc and it will not function or seal properly.

I would also check the speed and direction of rotation in the motor. It is possible that if you got the purifier off a ship it could be configured to operate at 50 HZ
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
jmm2020
Bilge Dweller

Post by jmm2020 »

I was not aware about requirement for back pressure...interesting...I am getting 144 revs which is on spec and rotation is good...I use only seal-less pumps so I have the pump removed on the 204...the chempump is down out of site but driven by the VFD in the picture to get flow rates in order...I generally understand the water supply and will get that sorted out...I have been trickling the bowl closing water in but will go to a direct grav feed if thats whats required...the seal I understood had to be a little more aggressive but not 5bar or anything...just a positive pressure feed
Back pressure on the output side is an interesting problem...I see the requirement more clearly now but not sure how to make that work...I did notice I have a slight vacuum pull on that but I attributed it to the bowl failing to close properly...
Well many thanks on sharing your knowledge...I am struggling here...it would be so helpful to see a master go through one of these step by step...
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

I am not intimate with these purifier but like Windsor has mentioned, you have some issues with the set up according to the picture. The operating water is a big one from experience, and yes the back pressure control is not obvious in the picture - this is how you control the throughput - quality of the process.

I am curious, can anyone tell me what the various inlet and outlets are starting from the top... I assume the top one is make up water, next below is the feed, next is the output, next below is (sludge?), then below is bowl closing water (?), unseen is the case drain...

I also noticed that there is no proper mounts on the unit, I am not sure how critical these are for the machine, but I know Alfa Laval requires them to be check regularly so one must assume they are important and will affect the life of the machine.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
jmm2020
Bilge Dweller

Post by jmm2020 »

I am going to go by the numbers here on the plumbing and have fabricated a feed tank with shutoff which is bowl "closing water" and another feed water line for "bowl opening/cleaning/purge" line...that's easy enough now that I understand their importance...many thanks there...
Now...back pressure....can that be simply a gate valve used to develop some pressure and then moderate for throughput or as you put it Martin ...quality of the process...I believe what is being discussed is that throuput is truly moderated on the output rather than the input as I have configured it...open up the pressure on the input and then moderate it with the output...Alfa could really have done a bit better job on that manual let me tell you...lol
Top feed is seal water seal
Then input of process
Then light phase
Then heavy phase
Control water for bowl closing is side by side with purge where I have clear hose attached...
Again many thanks as there is truly no other info resource that covers this stuff... :mrgreen:
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

There's an e-mail address on this page where you might get a manual or at least some info.

http://www.alangseparation.com/MAPX-204.htm
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
jmm2020
Bilge Dweller

Post by jmm2020 »

I do in fact have that very manual from the good Capt Singh....I have poured over this manual and the only mention of back pressure is in relation to the level ring configuration for a purification bowl setup...I attached the manual page...
Attachments
MAPX_204TGT_MANUAALI_Page_066.jpg