Alfa Laval PU 100E

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
Max Oiltemp
Deck Plate Wanderer
Currently located: Prince Edward Island / Dubai

Alfa Laval PU 100E

Post by Max Oiltemp »

Yet another purifier question -

I'm thinking that I can't see the forest for the trees but has anyone seen this before? No loose carbon in the bowl and the discs are clean. We opened her up due to an increase in um.., vibration :roll: . Why on Earth would it only build up in one section like that?

Thanks, Max
DSC02636.jpg
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: Alfa Laval PU 100E

Post by The Dieselduck »

A groove, gouge, or scratch in the bowl in that area, over time deposits build there. ? Never seen it before.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

Interesting problem.
Normally I would think that the deposits had built up evenly, then a lump had broken off causing the imbalance, but you found no sign of the missing lump.

Looking at the heavy local deposits the machine must have been far from balanced, hence the vibration, I wouldn't have thought it would have kept running for long that much out of balance. I expect you should change all the vertical and horizontal shaft bearings, before running it again.

Is it possible that the oil feed was blocked and oil was only flowing throught the dirty sector of the bowl?

BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Looks like a lump has broken off, you can see the fracture marks on the surface perpendicular to the disc stack, parallel to the vertical axis.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Madzng
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: London

Post by Madzng »

I remember at least a couple times when I was fourth that I saw something exactly like this.

The LO purifer (Alfa Laval) woud be shut down for routine overhaul, nothing abnormal with its operation, but when opened up all the solids would be on only one side of the bowl and no obvious signs of lumps broken off.

I never had an camera with me to take pictures and I never did find out how it could end up like that when the bowl was opened. :?