Offshore Jobs Canada

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
Atlantic
Leak Patrol

Offshore Jobs Canada

Post by Atlantic »

Hi

I'm looking for information about the offshore sector in Canada.I hold a canadain second engineer ticket. does anybody have any information about what companys that are good to work for? Atlantic towing, maersk, secunda, etc. What courses to take to make me more atractive to hire, HUET?

Thanks
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: Offshore Jobs Canada

Post by The Dieselduck »

Where do you currently reside?
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Atlantic
Leak Patrol

Post by Atlantic »

In Halifax, NS
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

If you hold a current 2M, you have all the required courses. Offshore companies may require the chopper dunk, enclosed spaces, H2S Aware etc, ask a potential employer what they ask for.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
The Dieselduck
Administrator

Post by The Dieselduck »

I am surprise to hear you are not getting interest, residing in the region. Have you tried the Job Page (http://www.dieselduck.ca/job/index.html) on the main website and contacting those listed? However those employers in that region are not the most forthright when it comes to two way communication by their HR dept.
Martin Leduc
Atlantic
Leak Patrol

Post by Atlantic »

I havent heard anything back from any, thats why i wonder if there something i could do to get their intrest. Maybe the market is down at the moment.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

Have you tried Mersey Seafoods, Clearwater, Ocean Choice etc? They need 2M to sail as Chief on vessels over 2000 Kw.

Do you have a tanker endorsement? Try Rigel.
Atlantic
Leak Patrol

Post by Atlantic »

Thanks for the suddgestions, i dont have tanker endorsment. I'm not intrested in the fishing sector. The offshore oil and gas is more intresting. I have a job now (deep sea container ship) so its not an urgent matter, i just wanted to switch sector and get some more information if possible.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

The oil sector is almost incestuous, quite a small pool of people where everyone knows everyone else, by rep if not personaly. If you're a "bro", no problem, if you're not, you're outa luck. Stay with the box boats, it's more secure.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

Oceanex is looking for Engineers, they have a good rep. Have a look at "available jobs"
Atlantic
Leak Patrol

Post by Atlantic »

I got the same impression from the offshore sector. I have done some vacancy contract in the north sea 5-6 years ago, and they seem to think they are the best sailors in the world. But after talking to them it turns out they never left the north sea.

For me any ship that doesn't run on HFO is easy work. On those ships they didn't do much in engine only standby, it was shore company for all overhauls on engines etc.

Thanks for the tips on Ocanex i check it out.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

I've worked on supply ships in the North Sea, eastern Canada, northern Canada, Persian Gulf, Nigeria, (I know I'm going to heaven when I die, I've already done my hell time) Brazil and Vietnam. You keep running into the same people all over :) You're right in one respect, they all seem to think that "big ships" work is a dwadle, that only workboats actually work. :) I much prefer "Big ships" too, (but then again, I'm a naturally born lazy bugger anyway!) you get to see a lot in almost 40 years at sea.

By all accounts, Oceanex seems to be one of the better companies for which to work. It's been "dead men's shoes" until recently, there's been a few retirements of the senior Engineers, or so I believe. If they're advertising for people, there really must be a shortage. Get in there before I do!

No, wait, I'm retired! (and lazy, too)
Atlantic
Leak Patrol

Post by Atlantic »

I sent out some resumes see what happens. I'm out working now so i have to wait and see. I hope i hear back from oceanex. Do you know if they have a fixed reliving system 6 weeks on off? I talked some great lake companies but they don't really work like that. I prefer the fixed on /off system.

I worked for 2 years on a ro-lo ship on west africa, we called lagos, freetown, conacry and Tema, and more. They do things a bit diffrent there, it was an experince.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

pretty sure Oceanex works 2 weeks on, 2 off, but it might be month and month. They have continuity anyway, 2 crews working the ships. If you're on one of them, that's the one you'll be going back to.
The Dieselduck
Administrator

Post by The Dieselduck »

Oceanex is definitely one of the better companies from what I hear. They currently have a new ship on order - it sounds like its an addition, however the Cabot is getting on with age, so it may be replaced. They were based out of Montreal but now out of Newfoundland. From what I understand the majority of the crew is Quebec City based, crew changing in Montreal (Cabot and Avalon) I'm almost certain it is one month on / off rotation.

From an engineering perspective, I had a tour of the Avalon and found it to be excellent, probably one of the best ships in Canada. Clean, large engine room, stock with lots of tools and spares. The accommodations were clean, large and well appointed - by all appearances the vessel was a very well operated - and probably the reason for the low turnover.

Pay was not high, but certainly livable, however if I remember correctly it was UMS with 8 hr days, as oppose to the 12 hrs days typically required on Canadian ships.
Martin Leduc