Obtaining Canadian 3rd Enginer certificate

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
stanislav
Bilge Dweller

Obtaining Canadian 3rd Enginer certificate

Post by stanislav »

Hello everybody. I hold a Bulgarian 3rd marine engineer certificate, but I would like to obtain a Canadian one. Please give me some advices how to proceed. I found in the website some exam questions (thank you very much), but where can I find some materials to prepare my self for exams. Do I need to pass all the exams? If someone can help me with information and materials... Thank you very much,

Stanislav
Montreal, Canada
[email protected]
Sébastien
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Québec

Post by Sébastien »

Well Stan, you will have to go to a Transport Canada office and open up a file with all your current certification. Depending on how well you can prove your level of training and what equivalency arrangements Canada has with the country which has issued your current certificates, a Transport Canada inspector will tell you where you stand. Usually engineers in your situation (valid STCW) are exempt from part A examinations (thermodynamics, applied mechanics, etc) and you will only have to write part B (general and motor) and the oral. The bureaucratic process might seem overwhelming at times, I have often felt like a circus dog jumping through hoops, but it is relatively straight forward.
Sprocket
Bilge Dweller

Post by Sprocket »

Hi Stanislav, if you go to transport canada's website, look for the the following publications. TP2293E lists all the requirements for all of the engineering certifications. This is very useful and should provide you with what you need. You can also find sample questions for all 3rd class examinations in TP14510E. Regards................Sprocket
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Since TC's website was created in Hell to confound Mariners, I have done the basic search for you:

http://search.tc.gc.ca/en/advanced-search.asp
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

Hi Stanislav,

I saw you message a few days ago but did not get a chance to answer you right away, then forgot, but I see that Sprocket said pretty much all I wanted to say.

TP 2293 is pretty much the single source of info that anyone will be able to quote you from. Its recently updated, July 2007, after its early 1999 revamp, so I think it is quite a valuable document for you to check out. You can download a .pdf version here: http://www.tc.gc.ca/MarineSafety/Tp/TP2293/TP2293E.pdf. Its a lengthy document but the stuff I think you are looking for starts on page 268.

Also check out

http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/traini ... n/menu.htm
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
stanislav
Bilge Dweller

Post by stanislav »

Dear colleagues, thank you very much for your answers and help. I have arrived in Canada 20 days ago, and this information was very important for me. Today I was in a Transport Canada office and I gave all the documents required. I was informed that I will receive a letter with the result of the evaluation and information needed within one month.
Montreal, Canada
[email protected]
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Very Good!!
ArkSeaJumper
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Ireland

Post by ArkSeaJumper »

Only one month

Dont try this in Ireland and expect such a 'fast' reply
EL
Mechanic

Re: Obtaining Canadian 3rd Enginer certificate

Post by EL »

Hi Stanislav,
go back to Bulgaria and get your 2nd's ticket there, then go for second class here in Canada. You going to save a lot of trouble for yourself that way in the future.

Regards.