VIT & SVIT

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
TahssG
First Time Poster
Currently located: Portugal

VIT & SVIT

Post by TahssG »

I'm dooing a papper about VIT and in the process I found VIT and SVIT. The problem is that I couldn't yet find the diference. All sites I've been simply don't tell the diference. Someone can give a help on this ?
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: VIT & SVIT

Post by JK »

I'm getting old, I have absolutely no idea what you are referring to!
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Valve timing can be varied by varying lub oil pressure by means of a solenoid valve controlled by a computer.

No reason why injection timing can't do the same, if a solonoid rotates the sleeve, moving the barrel up and down.

VIT, Variable Injection Timing
SVIT, Solenoid operated Variable Injection Timing
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

just give me a cam!!
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

The engine builders have realised they can save money by not having a camshaft, also it takes a lot of power compressing all those springs so removing the cam makes the engine cheaper, lighter and more fuel efficient. Wave farewell to camshafts, they are rapidly going the way of commercial sailing ships, coal fired boilers and steam engines.

BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

Shit, in Canada we just got a new engine with a camshaft, now your telling me there obsolete !!! We don't trust those new fandangle kumputers - evil contraption they are.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Ah but they require upgrading and replacing on a regular basis. Indeed, a 6 month old computer is obsolete and requires to be upgraded or replace to keep up with new technology. They are designed to make computer companies lots of money....and they do their job well! The "new" engine room simulators installed in all the nautical colleges last year have been "upgraded" and now the exams written for them don't work on the new version. And they will be upgraded every year!
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

As the Savannah Expression collision at the linkspan at 201 berth,Southampton Dock in 2005 shows, these new engines are not the cats meow:

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cf ... nopsis.pdf

Technology is outstripping the abilities of the engineers, especially if the training budget is not adequate.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

I have sailed with a few companies that were busy sending Deck Officers on training courses for all sorts of things. ECDIS, Bridge Management, Radar, DP, etc. When I asked if they were sending Engineers on training courses I got a rather blank look and was was told that the Engineers already had their tickets, and was asked why we needed to go on any extra Training Courses??

BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.