Assistance Request: Looking for ATB Information

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
tchalla
Bilge Dweller

Assistance Request: Looking for ATB Information

Post by tchalla »

hello all,

Where would one look for information regarding technical information regarding a specific vessel type? i may be sailing on an ATB this summer as part of my cadet coop and would love to study up and learn as much about the vessel before going aboard.

any suggestions or recommendations are welcomed.

Thanks,

Tchalla
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Re: Assistance Request: Looking for ATB Information

Post by Big Pete »

If you know the company that owns or operates the ship try looking on their website.
If you know the shipbuilder try looking on their website.
Try Googling the ship name.
If the ship is particularly interesting it may appear in a Professional Journal for Marine Engineers or Naval Architects so you could try the websites for these.
If you still can't find the information you want, try a Library, Librarians are highly trained in finding obscure information.

BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

Been working on an ATB for the last four years, what would you like to know in particular.

The connection system is rather a simple thing in theory. But there are many different styles out there now. I attach a paper on the subject, its a bit dated, but still relevant.
Attachments
Tug%20Barge%20Options.pdf
(223.96 KiB) Downloaded 802 times
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
tchalla
Bilge Dweller

Post by tchalla »

Hi Martin,

First off, I really need to thank you for this website you've put up. Awesome.

Right now, I'm not exactly sure what I need to know to be honest. When I was in the Navy, I'd read up as much as I could about of what I thought was relevant to my job then listen to those whom knew what there were doing and mentally earmarked a section I had missed or needed to re-read. That said, I tend to gravitate first to the whys perhaps more than whats, i.e. line diagrams, process flow charts, sectional views as opposed to procedure 'how to's".

I'm pretty excited to read over that document you attached, (is that weird?). Can't wait for this academic term to finish so I can go out and really listen/learn from whichever company I'm fortunate enough to get aboard with.

Tchalla
The Dieselduck
Administrator

Post by The Dieselduck »

Where are you at school now, and what company with the ATBs do you think you might be able get on with? The atb part of the deal is pretty straight forward, the tug life bit however can sometimes be a challenge for some.
Martin Leduc
tchalla
Bilge Dweller

Post by tchalla »

I'm going to school at Georgian College and we just had a number of interviews for the coop term coming up. To my knowledge, the only one, w/ ATBs in fleet, that came for interviews for cadet placements is McAsphalt.

There aren't alot of available slots with far more cadets interviewing. I think it (interview) went well. We'll see...
Last edited by tchalla on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
offshoresnipe
Officer of the Watch

Post by offshoresnipe »

I'm sure you did fine!
You seem to have passion about the industry, which is a good thing.
You may want to contact the company and just ask for information, drawings, specs on the vessel etc.
Can't score if you don't shoot!
The Dieselduck
Administrator

Post by The Dieselduck »

There are few Canadian ATB operating in the Great Lakes area, but yeah its primarily only McAsphalt. They have the newer tug Victorious, and the older Everlast. They both used similar connecting system, see below, in this article from Professional Mariner... http://www.professionalmariner.com/June ... McAsphalt/
" Victorious and John J. Carrick are somewhat unusual in that they are joined by the Articouple articulated coupler system, which is made in Japan and not often utilized in North America. The system is similar to the Intercon or JAK coupler system except that the rams that protrude out from the side of the tug are hydraulically powered.

The choice of coupler system was dictated by the presence of the same system on the barge Norman McLeod and the tug Everlast. The company elected to go with the same Articouple system so that both tugs and barges could be totally interchangeable. “That may not have necessarily been our first choice in this new situation, but we really did not look at another system because of the advantage of having the same system on both of these ATB units,” said Hickingbottom. “Now we can have either tug handle either of these barges and that has got to be positive news for our clients,” he added. For enhanced maneuverability and underway efficiency, the new barge is equipped with a bow thruster while the tug has controllable pitch propellers. "
Martin Leduc
tchalla
Bilge Dweller

Post by tchalla »

Thanks Martin! I read through that article you sent earlier as well. Those pics in it really helped explain, to me at least, the evolution of the coupling/linkage systems. Moreover, the article written by the 'Professional Mariner' talks about thermal cargo heaters and hot oil heating system. This almost sounds like a continuous flow processing plant, taking parlance from my short 2 year stint in the manufacturing industry. Off the top of my head, there must be a bevy of monitoring systems and perhaps even a control booth/area. Anyhow, I'm talking myself into a tizzy. Hopefully lots of this and other types of cool stuff are available at varied shipping companies.

As an aside, and from a completely unlearn-ed perspective, why this concept hasn't taken off in Canada like in the US if the fleets are so small. Perhaps the ATB has more advantages in their waterways systems?

Regardless, I'm amped up after the wonderful correspondence from everyone.

Dieselduck = WinWIn

Thanks,

-- Tchalla