Is there any cooks on this forum

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
huxley
First Time Poster

Is there any cooks on this forum

Post by huxley »

I'm interested in talking with any cooks that are or have worked on vessels. I'm interested in seeing if this could be a career path for me and would like to find out more about the industry.

thanks
Wyatt
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Victoria

Re: Is there any cooks on this forum

Post by Wyatt »

My knowledge of what cooks put up with comes from many years of working on board Arctic tugs with a small crew of 14. What I can say is the hours are long, crews are uncompromising. The cooks job is the hardest on board due mainly to the fact that meals must be cooked at the same time everyday, and depending where the crew are from, the choices of food enjoyment will be difficult to understand. The crews on the tugs I worked on were from one end of the country to the other. The East Coasters enjoy a good hearty Jiggs Dinner, while West Coasters love seared lamb chops. Most of the cooks I have known have become good friends, and in this I discovered there is no way to satisfy everyone, unless you enjoy cooking so much that you work around individuals taste preferences by cooking specific food dishes, which 1 cook I knew used to do. While he was on board I enjoyed working with one of the happiest crews ever. If you really really enjoy cooking, then you will hopefully love the job, just don't let any of the crew who can't cook get under your skin. Best of luck.