Engine Room Layout Drawings

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
Mech_Eng_7096
Bilge Dweller

Engine Room Layout Drawings

Post by Mech_Eng_7096 »

Hi all,

I'm a final year engineering student currently working on a marine design project. The aim of the project is to fully design an air start system for a 2-stroke low speed diesel engine. My specific task is to source some engineering drawings (showing overall dimensions) of a bulk carrier engine room. However, as I don't have much experience personally on the marine engineering side, I seem to be having a bit of trouble actually finding such drawings.

If anybody could offer some advice or guidance I would be very grateful!

Kind regards!

Steve
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Re: Engine Room Layout Drawings

Post by D Winsor »

There are almost as many different designs for the layout of the starting air system as there are engine rooms. Ships fitted with 2 stroke slow speed engines and fixed pitch propellers require a much higher capacity systems than ships with medium speed engines and CP. propellers because the engine has to be stopped and restarted many times during maneuvering and must be able to overcome the forces generated on the propeller from the inertia of the ship passing through the water when the engine is reversed to overcome forward momentum.
Having said that the factors that primarily govern the design of the system is the volume of air required to start the engine mutable times (usually 6) during maneuvering, the volumetric capacity of the air receivers at the required working pressure to provide sufficient air volume for starting, the size of pipe required to deliver the necessary volume of air to the engine and the capacity of the air compressors to replenish the air supply in a set period of time.
The rules that cover these requirements are usually set by the class societies in conjunction with engine and propeller manufacturer.
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
Mech_Eng_7096
Bilge Dweller

Post by Mech_Eng_7096 »

D Winsor, many thanks for your detailed response. I fully understand what you mean and have taken your advice on board! Cheers!
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

To source drawings, give CSL or Fednav technical support departments a call. They may be willing to give you some copies of engineroom layout drawings for dimensions . We have given many copies out for people building models of our ships so it is not unprecedented to ask.
Mech_Eng_7096
Bilge Dweller

Post by Mech_Eng_7096 »

That is an excellent suggestion JK. I have just looked on their respective websites and it seems like they should be able to help out. Thanks!
Brad
Leak Patrol
Currently located: Canada

Post by Brad »

Depending where you are in the world you could try a Marine School library.
I know that The Marine Institute in St. John's NFLD library has a full set of ships drawings, systems and all. I believe the Marine campus of BCIT in Vancouver also has drawings on file in the library.
Brad