Marine Medicals

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Marine Medicals

Post by D Winsor »

I just did my Marine Medical and as part of the new provisional form there is a page, which must be read and acknowledged with a signature, outlining the obligations of applicants under the Canada Shipping Act. Are Captains and Chiefs going to have to insure all crew members are in compliance especially a crew member that may be obliged join or is on board after suffering an injury that requires medical attention and is prescribed or taking a pain killing medication? Will our family doctors, optometrists or emergency room doctor be obliged to inform Transport Canada of any issue that may be discovered during an examination that could somehow impair our ability to work on a ship as they currently do for a drivers license?

Obligation of the Seafarer to be fit for duties and to inform their Master of any significant changes in status
You are personally responsible to ensure you are as section 113 of the Canada Shipping Act, 2001 stipulates,"every crew member on board a vessel shall carry out their duties and functions in a manor that does not jeopardize the safety of the vessel or of any person on board". Further, this section obligates you to inform your Master of any significant changes to your health status.

Obligation of the Seafarer to inform physician and optometrist that they hold a Marine Medical Certificate
You are personally responsible to notify all physicians or optometrists that you hold a Marine Medical Certificate. As section 90(2) of the Canada Shipping Act, 2001 stipulates, "the holder of a certificate under this Part in respect of which standards of medical or optometric fitness are required shall, before being examined by a physician or an optometrist, advise the physician or optometrist that they hold the certificate".

Opiates and sedatives
Be aware that the use of opiates ans sedatives is prohibited in the marine environment. Any periodic use must not be utilized within 48 hours of sailing.
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Re: Marine Medicals

Post by JollyJack »

Marine Personnel Regulations

Employment of Seafarers

269. (1) No person shall employ as a seafarer a person to whom this Division applies unless the person produces a medical certificate issued by the Minister under section 278 or a provisional medical certificate issued under section 275.

(2) The documents referred to in subsection (1) shall attest to the seafarer’s ability to

(a) perform the duties for which they are to be employed; and

(b) complete the voyages to be engaged on by the vessel on board which they are to be employed.

(3) No person to whom this Division applies shall accept employment as a seafarer unless they hold a document referred to in subsection (1) that applies to their situation and that attests to the seafarer possessing the abilities referred to in subsection (2).

It is illegal for anyone to employ anyone as a seafarer unless he or she has a valid Marine Medical.

It is illegal for anyone to accept employment as a seafarer without a Marine Medical.

Ships have been detained because sombody on the Safe Manning Document didn't have a valid Medical.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Post by D Winsor »

I was aware of the regulations you have underlined but it was the first time I had ever been presented with the requirements as I had outlined as part of the of the application process for the marine medical. The way I read it according to clauses 90(2) and 113 of the act puts a lot more oneness on the holder of the certificate and medical practitioners, who may not be a Transport Canada Doctor, to report to Transport Canada any changes in the fitness of any holder of Marine Medical Certificate.
The enforcement of this requirement, so I've been told, is something new instituted in the last few months.
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

It seems all a bit silly since its not enforceable, I would imagine, due to privacy concerns. I know I would not give "carte blanche" to discuss my medical issues to TC, company, shipmate, etc. at all - there is a fairly extensive protocol already in place to deal with medical fitness. Beyond that, I would consider it an invasion of privacy. I know seafarers are to be treated like "expendable numbered assets" without privacy or decency but really, this is silly.

Perhaps they should suggest a script on what information is required to be exchanged and with whom specifically. I don't think I personally would have issues with that, but it does not mean a professional seafarer might feel their privacy infringed while TC strikes up a conversation with whomever, about your medical perceived not issues. If there was a script then TC might have the ability to approach licensed medical practitioner and a simple yes or no answer to be given, as to whether or not the seafarer and their practitioner discussed suggested script. Other wise I could see some issues with the Privacy Commissioner.

Sounds like more CYA BS from bureaucrats, lawyers and the likes looking for one more avenue to blame seafarers and wash themselves "clean" in case of accidents.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net