Engine Room Ratings

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
bhaven
Tanktop Cleaner

Engine Room Ratings

Post by bhaven »

I recently passed my ERR exam and are now heading straight towards my 4th class. I browsed the career pages of Canadian companies, but having a hard time finding out who actually employs ERR on their ships, it is mostly 4th class and up. Is ERR a position that goes through the unions and will not be posted on websites? The only one I found is the BCF posting for on-call ERR, but I thought that is more for B.C. people or BCF employees (Steamboat Al's posting kind of confirmed that). Before I sent my resumes all over the place, can someone share his/her knowledge as to where ERR are actually hired? Oh, by the way, this website is absolutely fantastic, the wealth of information really helped me a lot.

Thanks,
bhaven
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: Engine Room Ratings

Post by The Dieselduck »

Thanks for the nice comments and welcome to your community...

First off, where are you located? ERR are pretty rare on ships these days, companies keep cutting as much as possible. However, yes, the ferries employ some, probably the most are for Coast Guard-both those outfits you would apply directly to them. On the Great Lakes is another source of jobs, these positions are generally controlled by the SIU, so applying to them is the way to go.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
bhaven
Tanktop Cleaner

Post by bhaven »

Thanks for the advice, Martin. I'll keep looking, and I know I can get a position as ERR, but only in summer and only as of 2014. I also found some off-shore outfits that hire ERR, but they require a bunch of courses like helicopter etc. I even had a look at Africa Mercy, but they are docked most of the time, so not sure if that counts as seatime. Regarding location: I am pretty much landlocked, 2500 km to each coast. But airport is close :wink:

Thanks again,
bhaven
dermott03
Bilge Dweller

Post by dermott03 »

Hello all, This is yet again an excellent example of this website doing what it is supposed to!
I am an ERR with two years experience and my tanker familiarization ticket currently living in Newfoundland. I have taken three years away from work and I am just gearing up to return now to truly begin my career but I am in the same boat as the fellow who posted this message. I am finding it difficult to locate work right now. Does my tanker certification help my position at all in the job market? And another point that seems to be nagging at me is the BST certification, it is expensive for the new guys entering the field and for those of us returning to it, by getting that certification done will it be much easier to find employment? Full of questions I know but not sure where else to turn, if anyone has any advice I would very much appreciate it or even if they know of companies that may consider sponsoring for the BST that would be great! best of luck to everyone! there are jobs somewhere, we just need to find them!
aron
Tanktop Cleaner
Currently located: Rimouski

Post by aron »

Hi Dermott03 and bhaven, just checking in to see how you both went with the jobs you where looking for?
Any advice or suggestions?

Aron
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

The OCTF (Tanker familiarization) has to be renewed every 5 years. You need 3 months on a tanker within the previous 5 years to renew it, otherwise, throw it away, it's no good.

The BST is generally used for offshore work on the rigs, it includes the helicopter dunk tank. What you need as a seafarer is STCW VI/1, with respect to basic safety. You need that for OCTF anyway, so you must have it.

Oil and Chemical Tanker Familiarization

159. (1) An applicant for an Oil and Chemical Tanker Familiarization certificate or endorsement shall meet the requirements set out in column 1 of the table to this subsection and the corresponding specifications set out in column 2.

TABLE
Column 1 Column 2
Item Requirements Specifications
1. Experience If an applicant has not, within the 5 years before the application date for issuance of the certificate or endorsement, successfully completed an approved training course in oil and chemical tanker familiarization, at least 3 months of sea service within that period, on one or more oil or chemical tankers, performing duties relating to the loading, discharging or transferring of cargo and the operation of cargo equipment.

2. Certificates to be provided to the examiner
(a) MED with respect to STCW basic safety;

(b) marine basic first aid; and

(c) unless the applicant has acquired the experience set out in item 1, an oil and chemical tanker familiarization training certificate obtained within the 5 years before the application date for issuance of the certificate or endorsement.

(2) An applicant for renewal of an Oil and Chemical Tanker Familiarization endorsement shall meet the requirements set out in column 1 of the table to this subsection and the corresponding specifications set out in column 2.

TABLE
Column 1 Column 2
Item Requirements Specifications
1. Experience If the applicant has not obtained the training certificate referred to in item 2, acquire the following service within the 5 years before the application date for renewal:
(a) at least 3 months of service on one or more oil or chemical tankers performing duties relating to the loading, discharging or transferring of cargo and the operation of cargo equipment; or
(b) at least 24 months as
(i) a shore captain or marine superintendent in charge of supervising the loading or unloading of oil or chemical tankers, or
(ii) an instructor at a recognized institution having taught at least two approved training courses in oil and chemical tanker familiarization.
2. Certificate to be provided to the examiner If the applicant has not acquired the experience set out in item 1, an oil and chemical tanker familiarization training certificate obtained within the 5 years before the application date for renewal.

As for jobs, lots around at $10 a day in agencies working out of the UAE. Canada, not so much. The bulk of Canadian owned ships have flags of Vanuatu, Bahamas, etc.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
bhaven
Tanktop Cleaner

Post by bhaven »

aron wrote:Hi Dermott03 and bhaven, just checking in to see how you both went with the jobs you where looking for?
Any advice or suggestions?

Aron
I decided it's best to stick with my current employer and start in 2014 as ERR. Right now I am sailing as BWR (Bridge Watch Rating) until the position three decks below becomes available. I also might be able to get some time credits through courses and land-based metal work.

bhaven
dermott03
Bilge Dweller

Post by dermott03 »

Hello, it has taken me a long time to get back home, in my case it is a good thing, I am located in newfoundland and already had gotten my tanker familiarization course finished and took a position with Coastal Shipping, they are currently short so any ERR with the tanker course should apply if they are interested, but be prepared! the rotation is two months on and one month off, with tie up in the winter for refit work, but not a bad gig if you are trying to burn up to your 4th class quickly. I am still on the fence about the helicopter courses for the rigs, I know it will open that door for me but I am just starting out and being freshly engaged the finances are a little tight to drop up to 3k on a course that may not get me a better job. as usual I am looking for any helpful advice and any positions that may become available feel free to let me know! would kill for equal time! thanks everyone!
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Pop a resume to the Coast Guard. With all the major icebreakers over there now, I am sure they need crew.