Qualification equivalent

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
yous
Bilge Dweller

Qualification equivalent

Post by yous »

Hi guys,

I am a Scottish Marine Engineer with a class 4 liscence and will shortly be going for my 2nd's liscence. I have just married a Canadien girl and we are planning a move to Canada. Question is this: Does Canada recognise the British Officers liscence as equivalent to the Canadian standard or will i have to sit my exams again?

thanks for any help guys

Yousef
Sébastien
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Québec

Equivalency

Post by Sébastien »

Welcome Yousef,
Transport Canada evaluates all candidates on an individual basis. You will have to get familiar with TP2293E section 2.3 which you can access on the TC website. You will then have to meet a TC inspector who will check all your credentials. With regards to certification, countries are categorized according to memorandums of understanding with Canada. Since you are coming from a country that is part of the British Commonwealth of Nations, it is highly likely that you will only have to do an oral exam or worst case scenario general, motor and oral. Hope this helps, good luck.
yous
Bilge Dweller

Post by yous »

Hi Sébastien,

Thanks very much for the help. I'll get onto Transport Canada and see what they say,

much appreciated

Yousef
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

CICIC and you

Post by The Dieselduck »

Hello Yousef,

Sebastien has given you the answer I would give you. The best place to start is by talking with a Transport Canada Marine Safety examiner, you can drop by the Training page for information on becoming a marine engineer in Canada and you can download the regs that covers the process there as well (that Sebastien mentioned), as well as other resources.

You can find the location of your closest Transport Canada Marine Safety office here . . . http://www.tc.gc.ca/en/offices/menu.htm and you can also read a little blurb about "foreign qualifications" and how they work in Canada here.... http://www.cicic.ca/en/professions.aspx ... &prof=2274
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
conrod
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Nanoose Bay BC, Canada

TC Tickets

Post by conrod »

When I first tried this..............a wee while ago, I was told it would mean school and then all the exams. Things have changed since then. Mind you a good friend of mine with a Foreign Going UK Masters, had to go to school, for 6 months, then sit all his exams again. A bit of a pain as he had been Master for 15 years !!!

The big hurdle here will be your immigration status. Before TC issue a ticket, you will need to be either a Citizen, or Perm Resident. With a Canadian wife, you are eligable for " spousal sponsership " which can be as quick as 12 months..............and applied from within Canada. If you apply as a " skilled worker " it has to be done from OUTSIDE Canada, and the current waiting list is 56 months. I just got my Perm Res, as a " skilled worker " application, and it took just over 48 months.