3rd Motor Study Guide

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
kjwarren
Bilge Dweller

3rd Motor Study Guide

Post by kjwarren »

I am currently working towards my 3rd's motor and recently lost all my study material from school in a fire. Just curious what people thought to the best study materials for 3rd's and 2nd's, so I can start rebuilding my reference material.
Thanks
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: 3rd Motor Study Guide

Post by The Dieselduck »

Sorry to hear of your terrible misfortune... i mean about the fire, not upgrading...

Did you have a wander over to the main site, under the machinery page and the ship's library? What kind of study guide where you envisioning?
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Reeds Applied Mechanics, Basic Electrotechnology, Heat and Heat engines, Naval Architecture, Ship Construction, Engineering Drawing, General Engineering Knowledge, Motor Engineering Knowledge. Pounder's "Marine Diesel Engines", Kandy series of "notes on.....(various marine engineering subjects)". Osbourne "Marine Engineering, vol 2" vol 1 is all about steam, vol 2 covers everything else.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

The same thing happened to my study material, but it was a ritual burning of all the notes after my last ever Orals.

JollyJack gives the best info. Heed all his posts.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

I still have "Blacksmiths Notes" from the first year of my apprenticeship, 1962 :) Still use them, too, esp. for hardening, tempering and annealing. I have all my notebooks from then, too, handy references for machining, welding, boiler fittings, electric steering gear etc, you know, basic stuff that comes up in orals now and then.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Where they carved onto stone by a chisel in cuniform?? :wink:
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

No, but they do have a crowned lion and HMSO stamped on them :)
kjwarren
Bilge Dweller

Post by kjwarren »

Thanks for the input.
I have wandered over to the main page. I guess im just trying to narrow it down. Been laying low as a 4th for the last 6 years, and I guess I'm finding it a little daunting to start studying. I came the college route and have enough sea time to write 2nd's and not really sure if I should skip 3rd's or not. Guess I'm a little rusty with testing, as the last test I wrote was the multiple choice for 4th's.
Again, thanks for the input and advice.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

If you came the "college route" in an approved 3 or 4 year Cadet programme, and graduated, you are already exempted from 2nd and 3rd Class theory exams, ie applied mechanics, mathematics, electrotech, thermo, naval arch and drawing. All you need to is EKG, EKM and Orals at either 2nd or 3rd Class. You need 12 months for 3rd after getting enough time for 4ths, then another 12 months for 2nd. So, 36 months for 4th, 12 more for 3rd, then 12 more for 2nd.

If it was a one year programme for PSME, start hitting the 2nd Class Applied Mechanics. There's a little more to it than 3rd, but not all that much, and a pass exempts you from mechanics AND mathematics at 3rd class level. Applied Mechanics Exams are every Wednesday morning at 0830, cost is $27:50 and advanced notice of about a week is required.