Separator don't make ejection

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
hatem711
Bilge Dweller

Separator don't make ejection

Post by hatem711 »

We have on board a Westfalia GEA OSD6 D.O. separator. The problem that he is working normally before but now when I joined the vessel I found that he is not flushing only with High pressure of water. So every time I have to increase pressure of water in the hydrophore till 4.5 bar that he can make ejection. Before with 3 bar he is working perfectly!!
I changed already all O-rings but still same problem.
I need your help if somebody have any idea.
Thank you in advance.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: Separator don't make ejection

Post by JK »

Welcome to the Forum.
It's been over 20 years since I last laid a hand on a Westfalia, so I am sadly going to be no help.
I am sure someone will be along who has more extensive experience though!
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

Weve had numerous discussion on here about separators in the past with ample trouble shootign tips, use the search feature for them.

My tip would be - check the hydrophore supply line to the separator, look for a clogged strainer / filter. They can be easily overlooked.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
DJB
Bilge Dweller

Post by DJB »

The Westfalias on my last vessel were a constant source of frustration, we had simular problems however I was not directly involved. I would suggest that you have a close look at the drawings as there are some not so obvious o-rings that will cause you grief as it did for us. I wish I could be more precise however not being the hands on guy and after a couple of years the exact position of the o-ring eludes me.
dieselbike
Bilge Dweller

Post by dieselbike »

Hello

I have just joined this forum for the main reason that i see you are having trouble with your osd 6 DO purifier. We have onboard the same models and had coutless problems with them, they are now running perfect.

I see you have changed all o rings which is a start,

I reckon your next step is to clean the 2 strainers in the water operation block after this i think the problem will be fixed.

If not then make sure the pilot hole on the anular piston is completely clean?

For these purifies to shoot properly they must have at least 2 bar water pressure 1800l/h when the valve is open on the water block

Let me know how you get on?

cheers
islandvisitor
Bilge Dweller

Post by islandvisitor »

dieselbike wrote:Hello

I reckon your next step is to clean the 2 strainers in the water operation block after this i think the problem will be fixed.

cheers
first strainer is on the bottom of water pressure regulating valve - not marked and never mentioned in the manual
second y-strainer before solenoid block

we also had problem with rusty water supply pipe, there was pressure on local gauge but when solenoids opened there was not enough water and pressure would drop to almost 0 - had to put a hose from buffer tank to purifiers for testing - with open valve pressure is at least 2 bars like dieselbike mentioned

Alfa Laval purifiers have simple test to check quantity of water with a bucket....
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Thanks dieselbike and Islandvisitor for your contribution.
We hope that you will make a habit of contributing, active engineers are very welcomed!!