STCW III/3

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
Ratherbeonvacation
Leak Patrol

STCW III/3

Post by Ratherbeonvacation »

Can anyone explain exactly what a STCW III/3 engine room certificate is? Does this even exist now? I can not find to much on it. A guy mentioned this to me a few days ago and I had no clue.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Re: STCW III/3

Post by JollyJack »

STCW III/3, known in canada euthemistically as the "New 3rd Class" or 3MN, is the next step up from the STCW III/1, or 4th Class, which is a Watchkeeper in charge of the watch on a Motorship or Steamship over 750 Kw. Here is the table of validity from TP 2293, chapter 28, Third Class Engineer.

28.2 Validity of certificates
The holder of this certificate may act as:
watchkeeping engineer on any type of vessel other than ACV’s, subject to the propulsion type specified on the certificate, without voyage limitation or propulsive power restriction;

second engineer, subject to the propulsion type specified on the certificate and to the voyage limitation and propulsive power restriction specified in Table I;

chief engineer, subject to the propulsion type specified on the certificate and to the voyage limitation and propulsive power restriction specified in Table II.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Table I – Second Engineer
Voyage Unlimited voyage and near coastal voyage, class 1, not limited to Canadian ports Pass/cargo/tug Not more than 3000 kW* Fishing, under 5000Kw

Near coastal voyage, class 1, between Canadian ports Pass. Cargo Not more than 5000 kW Tug, Not more than 6000 kW*, Fishing 5000 Kw

Near coastal voyage, in the Gulf of St. Lawrence and the Great Lakes Basin Pass . Not more than 4000 kW cargo less than 7000 Kw, Tug Not more than 6000 kW, fishing, 5000Kw

Near coastal voyage, class 2 Pass. Not more than 4000 kW*, Cargo Not more than 7000 kW*, Tug Not more than 6000 kW, Fishing 5000 Kw

Sheltered waters voyage or limited near coastal voyage, class 2 Pass, Not more than 7000 kW*, no limit on other vessel types on limited NC2 or Sheltered Waters voyages.

* Note: These provisions do not apply to the holder of a certificate issued before January 3rd, 1994, that has not been upgraded in accordance with regulation III/3 of the STCW Convention (the holder has not passed the Thermodynamics and Electrotechnology examinations).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Table II – Chief Engineer
Voyage Unlimited voyage and near coastal voyage, class 1, not limited to Canadian ports Pass/cargo/tug N/A, Fishing less than 2000 Kw

Near coastal voyage, class 1, between Canadian ports Pass N/A, Cargo/Fishing less than 2000 Kw, Tug less than 3000 Kw

Near coastal voyage, in the Gulf of St. Lawrence and the Great Lakes Basin Pass, N/A, Cargo/fishing less than 2000 Kw, tug less than 3000 Kw

Near coastal voyage, class 2 Pass/Cargo, less than 3000 Kw, Tug, less than 4000 Kw, Fishing less than 5000 Kw

Sheltered waters voyage or limited near coastal voyage, class 2 Pass, less than 3000 Kw, Cargo, less than 4000, tug/fishing less than 5000 Kw.

STCW III/2 Second Class Engineer means the holder can be Second Engineer on any power on any ship on any voyage, depending on propulsion type . (Motor or Steam) The holder can also act as Chief Engineer on specified vessel type of specified power (TP 2293 Sect 27.2)

First Class can be Chief Engineer on any vessel on any voyage, depending on propulsion type.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".