4th Class Certificate Requirements

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

4th Class Certificate Requirements

Post by D Winsor »

I as a Chief Engineeer just signed off for one of my unlicenced crew members Transport Canada's latest version of the workbook as proof of a candidate's required knowledge to write a 4th Class Licence.
It is now requred that a candidate must have a knowledge of and familliar with along with proof of time served and practical skills,(Testimonials & Discharge Books don't count), Parlimentary Legislative Procedures, and Ship Stability.
If I were an unlicenced crew member and I would be very discouraged from writing a licence after reading the book such as that with little or no support from companies or government.
It is difficult enough to recrute and encourage good crew members to work as engineers without Transport Canada making the process more difficult.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Indeed an uphill battle

Post by The Dieselduck »

Indeed Chief Windsor, it is a pretty scary future for any would be engineers. I think the whole purpose of the path nowadays is to get young people into structured programs such as the cadet program. Doing it all by yourself, working through licenses like allot did in the older days, is pretty much not an option.

Lately Transport Canada has offered some alternatives to the the initial requirements of the fourth class. Primarily those who are not able to attend the maritime schools for their six months, can attend local community colleges for similar training, that achieve some of the goals. One such local college in Canada, I believe the first in Canada, is Malaspina College in Nanaimo, which is offering through its partner, MEA of Vancouver, a course that meets the new guidelines of TC without having to specifically go to Vancouver or the like where there is a maritime school. This is specifically attractive for working people who want their license, who may already have some experience on the boats and want to progress, rather than a person fresh out of high school joining the cadet program.

On a side note, I understand that there is some exciting news for Vancouver Island would be mariners. A new maritime school is being planned for central Vancouver Island. This would make taking MEDs much easier and cheaper. Check back here for updates in the new year.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Dieseldame
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Nova Scotia / Caribbean

The old road

Post by Dieseldame »

I am in the process of the 4th class the practical way and while it may be more difficult that the school route I am finding that I am gaining a lot of practical experience in the field. The thing I find most difficult is finding good resources to "fill in the blanks" and help build knowledge along with skills. I wonder if Diesel Duck could play a role here with some online courses and possibly some mentorship relationships.

Topics I think would be good would include basic electrical including small motors, generators, use of testing equipment and troubleshooting skills. Also would be great to have some resources on pumps, their design, advantages and disadvantages...troubleshooting (just about everything has a pump). It would be wonderful to learn about fuel - especially keeping it in good condition. I joined a vessel that had been sitting for the summer with her tanks half full over the summer. We filled the tanks and took a rough trip..you can guess what happened. A glossary of terms would be amazing to have, its really incredible how long you can spend reading something when you have to look up so many of the words.

For what its worth....
Dieseldame
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Nova Scotia / Caribbean

Good resource

Post by Dieseldame »

Just wanted to pass on that I followed up on Tx's advice under the course advice thread and got the catalogue from videotel. They offer a computer based 4th class engineering program that is STCW certified, I shared the material with our Chief and he is looking into ordering a workstation copy for the ship.

www.videotel.co.uk

DD
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

For that half tank of fuel-treat it with Aderco