Engine overhaul

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
ryan_brown17
Bilge Dweller

Engine overhaul

Post by ryan_brown17 »

Wondering if anyone has had long term success with overhauling rolls Royce KRG engines or any engines for that matter with aftermarket parts?
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Re: Engine overhaul

Post by D Winsor »

In the past I've had some major issues with using aftermarket parts from suppliers that are not licensed by the engine manufacturer, primarily with the fit, finish and operating life. I've spent a lot of time verifying the size and fit of critical parts such as bearings, liners, pistons, rings and valves before installation. In some cases I've rejected up to 25% of the parts supplied or spent many man hours modifying the parts to bring them within the engine manufactures tolerance. Unfortunately depending on the vintage of the engine and the availability of OEM parts you may be stuck with aftermarket parts.
In today's market where even engine manufacturers are now outsourcing the fabrication of parts and recycling parts one should be careful of parts being supplied as OEM parts.
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: Engine overhaul

Post by JK »

we've had problems with after market parts to the point engines have to be stripped and rebuilt after minimal hours because of failures or poor performance. Don't know about R&R specifically, but I agree with the previous poster.