Hello and thank you all

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
AngrySailor
Bilge Dweller

Hello and thank you all

Post by AngrySailor »

Hello everyone, I've just joined the forum recently, but have been reading for a while now. I've recently passed my 4th class motor license and would like to thank everyone here for some excellent reading material. It has no doubt helped me through the entire process. From sea time eligibility questions to exam questions and general research, the information here has been invaluable in preparing for the examination process. Thank you all! I'm sure I will have questions down the road as higher certifications become within my reach.

Cheers
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: Hello and thank you all

Post by JK »

Welcome and Congratulations!!
Passing your 4th is entry into the cycle of studying and writing the next set of exams to advance yourself. You never stop learning in this profession. It keeps the brain working :wink:
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

So when do you write 2nd Class Applied Mechanics? Pass that and you're exempted 3APM and 3 Maths.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Applied Mechanics

My fondest memory is walking out of an AM exam and the gentleman with me saying, all I could think of in the question about the gangway chain, was the instructor swinging from it.
AngrySailor
Bilge Dweller

Post by AngrySailor »

JollyJack wrote:So when do you write 2nd Class Applied Mechanics? Pass that and you're exempted 3APM and 3 Maths.
I left the TC office with the 2nd class syllabus in hand. The Examiner suggested the same route as yourself, so I plan to study up this summer and ask lots of questions while sailing. Hopefully I will be prepared to write this coming fall. As I understand, these rules will be changing over the next two years. This seems to happen all to frequently with TC. For example I was contacted by my company regarding the "ships personnel with security duties" certificate. When I called TC they informed me that THAT day was the deadline to be grandfathered the certificate! Needless to say it was a mad dash to TC in one of the worst snow storms this year!
AngrySailor
Bilge Dweller

Post by AngrySailor »

JK wrote:Applied Mechanics

My fondest memory is walking out of an AM exam and the gentleman with me saying, all I could think of in the question about the gangway chain, was the instructor swinging from it.
:mrgreen:
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

The rules won't be changing until the new rules have been invented. They haven't as yet. STCW 2010 (Manilla) doesn't kick in until 2016. The security certificate is a new thing, there was a short window to "grandfather", now you need a course.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".